Blockwall Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
nj7

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Blockwall Basement

I am thinking of finishing my blockwall basement.Are there any codes of construction or other reasons why the people who sold the house to my girlfriend 10 years ago made sure she understood that the basement could never be finished?

Advertisement

nj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Blockwall Basement

Quote:
Are there any codes of construction or other reasons why the people who sold the house to my girlfriend 10 years ago made sure she understood that the basement could never be finished?
maybe. There are codes in some areas that would prevent certain basements from being used for living space. The first one I can think of is headroom both ceiling height in the basement and headroom on the stairway. There are even more rules that would limit the possibility if one intends on using the space for sleeping rooms.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
nj7

Rewards Points: 10

Blockwall Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
maybe. There are codes in some areas that would prevent certain basements from being used for living space. The first one I can think of is headroom both ceiling height in the basement and headroom on the stairway. There are even more rules that would limit the possibility if one intends on using the space for sleeping rooms.
There is no issue with headroom & I don't intend on putting in bedrooms. Can you or anyone else please give me anymore information on the finishing of a blockwall basement?
nj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

Blockwall Basement

You might run into entry/egress problems. The window used must be an approved window with a clear opening meeting the minimum dimensions. There is also a requirement for the open sill height (42 or 44 inches depending on the local requirements). You also must have an accessible area outside that could require a pit/recess wide enough to permit use by a firefighter with tanks and gear.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote