DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blocks or poured concrete for round tower?

14K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tscarborough 
#1 ·
I am planning a 20 ft tower, 10 ft diameter, as a very distinctive tool shed on a 1.25 acre plot. It will be faced with brick veneer, and look a bit like a castle tower. Cheaper to use cinder blocks or poured concrete for the structure? Or just a wood frame? The foundation will be rebar/concrete.

#2 ·
I'm not a contractor, but here's a couple of observations.
  1. You NEVER see a farm silo constructed from a monolithic concrete pour.
  2. The labor alone to build the form work, reinforcement, and bracing has got to be cost prohibitive.
The question of stick framing depends on your usage of the building. Do you plan to insulate it and to have electrical outlets? Is there going to be an inside second story? The stick frame would lend itself towards that. If it's just a non-heated utility bldg. (silo) then I would imagine that block would be the way to go.

Just my random uninformed thoughts.

#4 ·
Poured concrete, using a slip form system, would be the most expensive option to consider....and it is done on grain silos....the forms are set to diameter, and then as the pour progresses, the forms are "jacked" up with the set....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.