Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

Block wall construction will destablize 4plex?

I manage a very old 5 plex, parts which were built in the 40's. A builder wants to install a block fence along a 3 foot wide concrete walkway that borders the building. He would need to cut into sections of the walkway, particularly the concrete around the old iron posts that hold up an old chain linked fence.
The city planner said the sidewalk was part of the foundation of the building, and this could seriously damage the building. What do you guys think?

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I manage a very old 5 plex, parts which were built in the 40's. A builder wants to install a block fence along a 3 foot wide concrete walkway that borders the building. He would need to cut into sections of the walkway, particularly the concrete around the old iron posts that hold up an old chain linked fence.
The city planner said the sidewalk was part of the foundation of the building, and this could seriously damage the building. What do you guys think?
Doesn't matter what anyone on an Internet forum thinks. If that is the appraisal of your city planner then you should go with it.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #3

Better yet hire a real structural engineer to look it over.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
JOATMON

Regretfully, I think your real problem is Fountain Valley....the stories I have heard.

Side note.....if the sidewalk is part of the 'foundation'....you have some serious issues.

But, I'm willing to bet there is no mechanical connection between that sidewalk and your footing.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Do you mean that Bill the plan checker/city engineer/inspector said that the walk was part of the foundation?

He is a pretty knowledgeable guy, I know him fairly well but I think I would have some questions for him on that one.

Andy.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

No, it was Mark C (I forgot the rest of his last name). I think he is the city building manager. Also it was a misunderstanding, he did not actually state cutting the concrete would damage the foundation. The owner still believes this, however. How can I reassure her this is not the case?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #7

Is there any foundation to the owner's fears? She is absolutely terrified cutting any concrete of the walkway will damage the foundation of the buildings. She is terrified of the vibration. Mark was actually concerned about a property line problem, she misunderstood him.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Is there any foundation to the owner's fears? She is absolutely terrified cutting any concrete of the walkway will damage the foundation of the buildings. She is terrified of the vibration. Mark was actually concerned about a property line problem, she misunderstood him.
Buildings in the U.S. don't get designed so that the sidewalk is part of the foundation. So no, her fears don't make any sense.

Can you or I imagine a scenario in which messing with the sidewalk would affect the building? Sure: an underground river has washed away the ground around the foundation, and the sidewalk is preventing the footings from slipping sideways into the hole. We can make up all sorts of other unlikely scenarios. Is it reasonable to fear something like that? No.

As for the vibration - No, the vibration from cutting a sidewalk might wake up the neighbors, but it won't hurt the foundation.

Is there some other reason to fear that the building is that weak?