Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Block Paving Disaster?

I've recently found out the the previous owner of my house has laid the block-paving driveway incorrectly. The driveway has covered the air bricks to the house and I now have a damp problem. I've been told the only solution is to remove all the bricks from the drive, then to dig about a foot down and then relay the block drive. Its quite a big drive and the problem runs from the front, round the side and at the back of the house. Is there any other way of fixing this problem???

Linda Coleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #2

Block Paving Disaster?

If I understand correctly, the brick driveway was laid against the lowest level of brick on the house, causing water infiltration into the weep holes in the brick.

I had a similar problem with my house, whereas a brick patio was laid against the brick veneer and caused spalling of the lowest level of brick.

An option may be to pull the brick from around the home and replace it with concrete poured at an appropriate level. Of course you will have to ensure the grade is proper to flow water away from the house... Think of a concrete walk, or some sort of garden.

If this will not work in your situation then, yes, the driveway will have to be re-laid.

Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Block Paving Disaster?

I would remove enough paving stone to allow access to the brick wall. Dig down to the brick footing and clean it off using water and a wire brush.
After the brick surface is clean, apply a parge coat over the brick and then after this is setup, apply a coat of foundation sealer to the parge.
Backfill the excavation and replace the paving stones.
new vent holes should be drilled into the mortar above the paving stone level.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Block Paving Disaster?

Reilley, I don't think that is what the OP means. An air brick is a ventilated brick that allows air to move through the brick. It is generally used in houses where the wood floor is exposed directly to damp air in the crawl space under the house. The idea of the air brick is to allow air to move through the crawlspace, reducing the "dead moist air" problem under the house by allowing ventilation.

I believe the OP means that the air brick on at least one side of the crawl space was covered up with earth as part of the driveway installation, thereby preventing air from flowing through the crawl space. In order to fix the problem, it is certainly necessary to remove the soil that is blocking the brick. Without some photos or a good diagram, it is impossible for me to further understand the problem.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Block Paving Disaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Reilley, I don't think that is what the OP means. An air brick is a ventilated brick that allows air to move through the brick. It is generally used in houses where the wood floor is exposed directly to damp air in the crawl space under the house. The idea of the air brick is to allow air to move through the crawlspace, reducing the "dead moist air" problem under the house by allowing ventilation.

I believe the OP means that the air brick on at least one side of the crawl space was covered up with earth as part of the driveway installation, thereby preventing air from flowing through the crawl space. In order to fix the problem, it is certainly necessary to remove the soil that is blocking the brick. Without some photos or a good diagram, it is impossible for me to further understand the problem.
Ahh I see now. I hadn't heard of an air brick before. I agree, pictures would certainly help.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

Block Paving Disaster?

Hmmm! Air brick! Would this be a brick with holes running horizontally? If so, I have never encountered such an animal. I thought that we we talking about weep holes that are placed on the bottom course of brick!

If its a ventilated brick, I would plaster the vents closed, parge and waterproof the wall.

Last edited by Wildie; 06-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #7

Block Paving Disaster?

Thanks guys, it looks like I have to bite the bullet on this one and have the drive taken up and relaid.
Linda Coleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #8

Block Paving Disaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Coleby View Post
Thanks guys, it looks like I have to bite the bullet on this one and have the drive taken up and relaid.
How did you come to that conclusion Linda? That wasn't what anyone on here suggested. Can you post pics and explain exactly what the problem is?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #9

Block Paving Disaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
How did you come to that conclusion Linda? That wasn't what anyone on here suggested. Can you post pics and explain exactly what the problem is?
Yes! Why this solution?
Driveway excavation, $10,000??? Parge and waterproof, $500!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #10

Block Paving Disaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Yes! Why this solution?
Driveway excavation, $10,000??? Parge and waterproof, $500!
I agree, this can be extremely costly for something that may not really be the best solution. Have you spoken with a contractor? One may be able to do a repair job that will only be a fraction of the cost of what you are suggesting.

morrill is offline   Reply With Quote