Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Share |

block foundation waterproofing around new water line

a continuation to my installing a new water line thread about hydraulic cement.

I've dug out an area for the new plumbing penetration thru the block foundation into the basement. The foundation has an orange-ish colored insulation type "board" against it. I assume this is to keep the dirt from directly contacting the block wick away water? What is this called and where can I buy some?

I will need to waterproof around the new penetration. After using hydraulic cement to fill the hole, what should I use to cover the cement? I assume some type of a tar based product like what is existing but keep in mind I don't want to buy 5 gallons of something as I'll only need a cup- what can I buy in a gallon or less?

Thanks for any help

Steve_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #2

attaboy, at least you're using your noggin fiber-reinforced asphalt roofing cement comes in gal & 5gal cans,,, apron store - buy the gal & keep it in the garage covered as it'll last forever 1 more thing - ' f ' the hydraulic & stuff the hole w/steel wool or leftover t-shirts

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply

I looked and have some Henry asphalt emulsion #107 left over from another project years ago. This is the description:

Henry 107 is a protective coating that will last longer than solvent-based coatings, but needs to be applied under good conditions. The surface must be very clean, and you must have two days of dry, warm weather (over 50F).

Asphalt emulsions become water resistant only after drying thoroughly. Do not apply if the air temperature is below 60F, or if there is threat of rain or temperatures below 40F within 48 hours. Make sure the entire job is fully cured before backfilling with dirt, and avoid scraping or damaging the coating.

That is a little different than your description. Should I buy some of the 201 (see below)??? Or will it not make a difference? I don't have a problem spending $20 for the right stuff if it is really what I should be using.

Choose solvent-based Henry 201 Asphalt Roof Coating or Henry 101 Unfibered Roof & Foundation Coating. For better adhesion, choose Henry 201its fibered base gives it added body and better grip to vertical surfaces.

With Henry 201 or Henry 101, you will have no worries about low temperatures or rainfall after application. Solvent-based coatings can be applied in colder temperatures (as low as 32F), can be rained upon within two hours of application, and can actually eat through a fine layer of dust to grab the surface.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #4

an emulsion is water & asphalt mixed in a pugmill then packaged,,, it requires adequate remixing ( stirring ) to be good for your/our purposes,,, we use trowelable cement not paintable emulsion - that was the original stuff according to bldg code

Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

thanks a lot. I will see if I can find a gallon of something better.

Oh, does anyone know what that insulation type board placed against the block is called? I destroyed some of it when digging and of course removed some at the new penetration area so I will need to replace some of it.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #6

tchh - tchh - tchh,,, you picked another doozey that stuff's avail from only bldg supply houses & you need a license to buy it,,, not even the ' king of his castle ' rule can help you however, you could grab up a piece of blue foamboard at an apron store,,, after all, once its buried who's to know what color it is ? ? ?

[ caution - do the insulation at nite so no one sees you ]

ps - just kidding about the license & being ratted out by your neighbors