Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Block Foundation w/Hundred Seep Holes?

Hello. I bought my home in May of 2008 and have since had numerous small "problems". These problems, (walls cracking away from ceiling, minor plumbing leaks, drywall in corners of home cracking). Basically, the house is sinking in the middle. The soil consists of heavy clay. The house, for all its charm, was built as a money-maker. They cut corners when they could, and used cheap materials. The problem that I'm writing about now is due to the strange holes that I've uncovered drilled every 2-4 inches in the block of my foundation below grade. I have a crawl space, not a basement, and evidently there is a problem with the "clay bowl" effect. There is currently a sump pump in place, but I believe it was installed in the wrong spot for convenience rather than function. The pump is located at the highest point of the crawl space instead of what makes sense to me, in the lowest spot. Two gutters have had to be re-routed away from the house since I moved in, as well as having to add a drainage ditch. I'm re-routing the other 2 gutters next and thinking of installing an additional sump pump at the lowest point where the water is collecting. There is a hill on the side of the house in which I find water standing after heavy rains. I am considering adding an additional french drain there or other measure to help divert the water from that particular hill. Basically this house seems to lack the most fundamental principle. That being to direct the water away from the house. While inspecting the piers for support of the main beam due to the sinking, I noticed that on 3 sides of the foundation, (excluding the wall with the concrete pad for the garage) there are holes of about an 1" - 1 1/2" in diameter drilled every 3" - 4"'s in the block. This is below grade and I just can't fathom what this is. Wouldn't these holes alter the integrity of each block? What do I do to stop the water from coming in? And do I need to fill each of the more than 100 holes? I'm not kidding by the way. The soil seems to be eroding away from the piers supporting the main beam. I've already poured a new support pier to re-jack the house up to it's proper position, but without addressing the water infiltration I doubt it's going to stop the problems. I've never seen any such thing. Should I contact a lawyer? This is blowing my mind. My house is sinking and I'm not sure what action to do first. Can anyone out there explain what I need to do, and in what order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jodust11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Need to have an engineer look at this first. Start at the beginning with someone who can back up what they find in case you need to sue. Or at least fix it correctly.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #3

Just curious, did you have a house inspection done before buying???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

expect the bldr had the holes drill'd so wtr, penetrating the blocks from outside, would be able to drain,,, more'n likely, they're 5/8" drill'd into ea web & cell,,, ' where ' the sump's located is irrelevant as long's the collection pipe runs downhill to is,,, form follows function so convenience if fair,,, if you can't svce the pump, what good will it be when it fails as all mechanical things often fail,,, prior to installing an addl sump & pump, watch to see if you need it,,, doubt block integrity's been compromis'd as its std practice for bsmt water mgt systems.

' french drain ' would be a swale - always good for directing excess wtr,,, suggest you call a pe w/soils & structural experience IF you can find 1 as they're usually specialties,,, btw, IF there's a home owner's warranty, never saw any claim for bsmt wtr leakage honor'd AFTER year ONE ! ! !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be getting right on this with an engineer. As to the home inspection. Yes we did have one. The problem is that these holes were buried down under gravel and dirt. Completely obscuring the view. You'd basically have to be looking for these holes to find them. The only reason we did was because of the extensive inspection of our main beam and the way in which the soil is moved away from the foundation. If this was done as a standard way to handle water, I can only say that this was one of the most asinine ways I've ever seen. It's not done the job they've set out to accomplish. To further complicate matters, the crawl space has a very narrow opening and it really is very difficult to get into.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

One additional addendum to my post. I also get standing water in the lowest point under the house. That area happens to be the furthest away from access. That's why I was thinking additional sump pump. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Good excuse to start that exercise program?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

those holes should've been protect'd from dirt blockage by placing a dimpl'd pvc sheet ( miradrain's 1 tradename ) against them,,, maybe it hasn't alleviat'd the problem but the approach was right --- almost ! ! ! IF wtr ran uphill, you'd be golden ! ! !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #9

We also have those holes drilled around our foundation, we aren't sure what they are either and are doing some remodling, someone said they could be from termite repair???? Not sure about that, but can we fill the holes w/ hydraulic concrete or something?
amerren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,152

what does your pest company say ? ours seals the bug killer holes w/hydraulic 'cause its easy mtl to use,,, open holes sound like a wall drain system which sealing would defeat.

don't pay attn to ' someone ' - instead find a guy who KNOWS !

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote