Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Block Foundation Efflorescence

Hi all,

My home is 40 years old this year. I have great grading on the front and pretty good grading on the sides of my home as the house is at least 4 ft above the road. The backyard near the house is flat up to about 10-12 ft away at which point it rises maybe 2 ft. I have absolutely no water coming in the house nor does it look like there ever was water. I do not have a sump pump. I am told there is weeping tile, however I don't know for sure. My guess is there has to be otherwise I'd have water coming into my basement.

With all this being said I do however have efflorescence (white salt accumulation) on the rear block wall (outside on the parging and inside on the block).

What can I do to remove/prevent the efflorescence? Is this something I should be concerned about or consider digging a section to confirm the weeping tile is there and working? I'm not sure whether there is tar or anything as a water membrane either. My guess is that if there is efflorescence that the bricks are saturated with water which is bad in my region (Northern Ontario) with the warming and freezing temperatures in the spring which may cause brick cracking from the water expanding. Can I dry the brick wall?

Suggestions are much appreciated...

Thanks!

trophywalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Block Foundation Efflorescence

After 40 years your tile is probably full of dirt.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote