DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

block foundation

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shama144 
#1 ·
I'm finishing a block foundation and have placed my anchor bolts. I know some fill the entire block foundation with concrete but for my addition it seems overkill. Even if i don't fill the entire wall area with concrete do i still need to fill the top layer of block. I wish I had thought of placing 4" block on top prior to setting the anchor bolts but that is hindsight. So do I have to fill the top layer of block with concrete or can I leave the holes open?
Sorry for such a simple and newbie question.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
By block I'm assuming you mean CMU. And yes, you should always grout fill all cmu cells that are below finished floor.

How big is the edition, and how tall are the cmu foundation walls? You want to make sure you are filling the cmu cells with grout not concrete. You also want to make sure you do not fill more than 5' high at a time in order to prevent blow outs at the base of the wall.

#3 ·
ooops, important omission

Sorry 'bout that. I should have said it is a crawl space of 4 courses only. The addition is 24x30 1.5 stories. The blocks are 8x8x16. I don't want to go overkill on the thing but, of course, I want it strong as it is my foundation :yes:. I can't afford overkill.

If it is a requirement/strong recommendation and since I didn't put a screen between the last course and second to last how do I keep the grout from falling in? I had placed rocks in the holes for the anchor bolts to keep it up but quite frankly that's alot of holes that are still open and i don't have that much rock laying around. Ideas, suggestions? That is IF I need to fill that last course.

Thanks guys!

#4 ·
No problem...Just pack food plastice type bags down the block some before you top it with concrete/grout for your bolts to be set in ,etc...

#5 ·
WAIT A MINUTE,,, this addn totals (maybe) 30'+30'+24' max, right ??? that's 84lf x 4 8" courses or 2.67 sf so the total wall area's 225sf,,, you think $200 in mtls is OVERKILL ? ? ? you must be building this yourself,,, either do it right or forget it - the cost to repair later on will not only astound you BUT you may not be qualified to do it.

you already heard the rqmt from a structural engineer but THIS IS YOUR HOME ! ! ! ! ! !,,, many times insurance companies walk away from claims where the expertise of the contractor cannot be assured by documentation.

#6 ·
Im not 'qualified'

Lansing: Very good. I didnt think plastic bags would hold it up. Ill give it a try.

Wildcat: Thank you especially about the grout vs concrete thing I especially didnt know that.

yesitsconcrete: Thank you for your insights. I appreciate the expertise of everyone whether a pro or seasoned do-it-yourselfer. I dont take anything for granted which is why Im asking questions. Your passion is commendable considering you dont know me yet you seem to have a great desire to protect my family and I and that I also appreciate.

Now please... relax:huh:. Im asking because I want to know
Thanks guys!

signed
'unqualified' but informed :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.