Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Share |

block foundation

clearlyt cracked in the middle and looks to be slanting in. what to do?

Moshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

block foundation

Can't quite see it from here could you bring it closer to the screen or at least take a picture?
I'd call a moson to have them take a look.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Beanfacekilla (02-01-2012), RenoStruct (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

block foundation

A vertical crack in the middle of the wall is not usually a structural problem.

Have you measured how much (if any) shifting has occurred since the wall was built?

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

block foundation

Deleted

Last edited by jrepp44; 02-01-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Deleted
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

block foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
A vertical crack in the middle of the wall is not usually a structural problem.
Dick, you're the expert, but can you explain why a vertical crack (I'm assuming of considerable length) would not be structural?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

block foundation

Not enough information supplied. - Wall height, thickness, materials, amount of slanting/movement and the wall construction (reinforced?).

Usually, a vertical crack is from the natural shrinkage of the materials used since most walls span from bottom to top and the problem cracks are horizontal (lateral soil pressure), or diagonal (settlement) unless they start at a opening like a window.

Photos and details help get better opinions.

The first thing a person would do is measure the width of the vertical crack at the top and bottom to determine the cause.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

block foundation

When I see a wall crack of any measurable size, I immediately think stress or pressure rather than material shrinkage. But as Dick said, we need pics to determine that
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

block foundation

I'm guessing it is a horizontal crack. I'll throw out some things for comments.

Drainage: Make sure the grade is sloping away from the house and no water is coming out of downspouts close to the foundation. Don't just put downspout extensions on these, bury them. If you just put extensions on, they will get knocked off soon. Also, beware of gable roofs and two story homes, especially the double-whammy of two story homes with gable roofs. A sideways storm will dump a lot of water on that wall and gable, where it will come down to the side of the basement wall. Next time get a ranch with a 2' minimum soffit and you will have very little wall exposed.

Reinforcement: Does the wall have any re-rod in it and are any cores filled? I don't know how effective the horizontal (durowall) reinforcement is. You can check for filled cores by going along a horizontal (bed) joint with a chisel and knockig out the mortar where the cores are. You should find a filled core every four feet or more. Maybe with a good ear, you can just tap the cores. You can tuck these joints back in after you have checked.

How to rectify the situation? Maybe some other feedback here.

First, correct the grade and remove all water (saturated dirt, you may know, is very heavy).

Secondly, you can get some firms to come and straighten the walls back for you with long bolts and metal plates.

Thirdly, you can try to stabilize the walls in place by fixing the bad joints by tuckpointing them, and filling some cores. How are you going to fill the cores and install rebar? The rebar should ideally be attached to rebar in the footings, and that isn't going to happen now. I have two ways to install rebar after the fact, but let's see if someone else can suggest a way to do it. In order to fill the cores, you're going to take a hammer and blow out the cores you want filled up on the top course. Heck, maybe you can cut them out with an angle grinder. Then you'll mix concrete and fill the cores.

Gotta go now.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote