Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

block building

the base of my concrete block-built garage is crumbling beneath the base block level. can I just fill the area with cement?
Trimoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

block building

Hard to say, really. I do foundation inspections a couple times a week, and I see some scary stuff. I'm going to inspect one Monday that - even over the phone - is mildly cringe-worthy. But most times if you're a decent DIY'er, simple repairs are within your ability.

If it were me, and I wasn't a licensed engineer, and I wanted to get the absolute lowdown on the foundation's condition and what the appropriate fix would be, I would call a local licensed engineer that specializes in this work. Fortunately, I'm part of a nationwide network of engineers that does exactly this type of work, every day. We all have the same training, same methods, same reports, and we communicate on a regular basis, and share experiences. Massive amount of organizational knowledge.

If you want a recommendation for one, I can point you towards a local office. But I think the rules here are that I can't blatantly advertise. If you'd like me to point you in that direction, I think you need to officially ask for a recommendation, and let me know where you are in the country. I can then put you in touch with a PE. Or you could look them up locally, and make a choice.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
Trimoka (10-02-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

block building

ag obliquely makes a good point,,, vocabulary is as important as anything else,,, when my bride, nagzilla , asks questions about my work OR something in the home, i develop a ' dumb deer look ' on my face then her anger begins we don't speak the same language often & she lets me know it in no uncertain terms ( language even I understand ) but she's mine & i lover her h/o language handicap & all

if its all the same, i often have that look on my face reading some diy-h/o posts, too

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote