Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Blind Nailing 8 1/4 hardiplank with 7" reveal

Is it Ok to blind nail 8 1/4 hardiplank with 7" reveal. I have 16" stud spacing and I am hitting 90% of the studs. ON areas where I can't hit a stud I put two nails in 2" inches apart. I have 7/16 osb as sheathing. Using 2" roofing nails. I have been reading that blind nailing at 7" reveal with void warranty. I read the hardi instructions but must have missed that. I live in kansas city, missouri

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

Well you read the instrutions and it says no. What can anyone here possible say to change that?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Retired carpenter

The problem with such a small overlap is that water might find its way behind the siding, regardless of how many studs you hit. Not much you can do at this point. If you haven't gone all the way up yet, you can decrease the reveal by 1/8" at a time until you get a 6" reveal, and no one will notice.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

I believe the manufacturor calls for only the 1 1/4" overlap.
(I live at the Lake of the Ozarks)
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

I guess I am not understanding. The plank is 8 and 1/4 inches wide with 7 inches exposed which makes for a 1 1/4 overlap. I don't see anywhere in the instructions that say I can't do this.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartkem
I guess I am not understanding. The plank is 8 and 1/4 inches wide with 7 inches exposed which makes for a 1 1/4 overlap. I don't see anywhere in the instructions that say I can't do this.
That's how I've always seen it done.
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

I thought I was following the instructions but I was reading another forum post that stated blind nailing a 8 1/4 plank with 7 inch reveal would void warranty. I just reread the instructions and I don't see that statement on it anywhere.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8

It appears you are in HZ5 zone: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/hardiezone.shtml

You are fine with the 7" exposure, notice the coverage chart at page bottom: http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...eplank-hz5.pdf
Follow the cross-stack usage or the grain pattern will repeat and look odd. Add an end-dam to the window head flashing in fig.7: pp.8-- http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf
Your nails are a little long. No caulking or void the warranty. An explanation: http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/USTB_...utt-Joints.pdf
Use a "drainable" housewrap for your -40" annual precipitation, a rainscreen, or two layers: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...RvUBSlz4b5thmA

Gary
BigJim (01-16-2012), Tom Struble (01-16-2012), woodworkbykirk (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

8 1/4" harti has to be face nailed. heavy winds can effect the siding and cause it to curl up and snap off so face nailing it holds the bottom portion down.. which is similar to wood siding of that dimension.. only thing to add about wood siding that size is that as it dries it can curl up and wind will effect it

only 6 1/4" harti gets blind nailed.

as gbr mentioned you have to follow the installation guideline from harti to the T otherwise your warrenty is void.. some people on here will say harti is junk for this reason however with any product unless its installed correctly its not going to perform the way its designed to.

i am with a high end remodelling company who is known for our siding installs. we are one of the few in our region that harti will honor warrenty mainly because not only do we follow their install guidelines we actually exceed them. the only problems we've ever had with dealing with the harti reps was trying to get free schwag off them and back ordered color match caulking
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk
8 1/4" harti has to be face nailed. heavy winds can effect the siding and cause it to curl up and snap off so face nailing it holds the bottom portion down.. which is similar to wood siding of that dimension.. only thing to add about wood siding that size is that as it dries it can curl up and wind will effect it

only 6 1/4" harti gets blind nailed.

as gbr mentioned you have to follow the installation guideline from harti to the T otherwise your warrenty is void.. some people on here will say harti is junk for this reason however with any product unless its installed correctly its not going to perform the way its designed to.

i am with a high end remodelling company who is known for our siding installs. we are one of the few in our region that harti will honor warrenty mainly because not only do we follow their install guidelines we actually exceed them. the only problems we've ever had with dealing with the harti reps was trying to get free schwag off them and back ordered color match caulking
I've never seen any cement board face-nailed. I can't believe any siding manufacturor would call for such an ugly install.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #11

wood lap is to be face nailed
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble
wood lap is to be face nailed
Not the tons of heart redwood lap siding I've installed. They would have shot me if they saw a nail in it.
Nor the thousands of lineal feet of masonite.
But I have seen face-nailing on cedar dutch-lap I think they call it (it's got the 1-1/2" underlap and the 1/2" overlap for a self-spacing 1" exposed underlap).
So I guess it depends on what kind of wood siding we're talking about.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Mod

[quote=titanoman;824972]I've never seen any cement board face-nailed. I can't believe any siding manufacturor would call for such an ugly install.[/quote]

I hate the crap! The 9 and the 12 must be face nailed. The 8 should be imo because it just wont lay tight enough to the wall if blind nailed.

If you want to blind nailed Hardi, 6 or even better yet 5 exposure is the way to go.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to face nail Hardi and have a uniform flush nail installation.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I've never seen any cement board face-nailed. I can't believe any siding manufacturor would call for such an ugly install.
I hate the crap! The 9 ” and the 12” must be face nailed. The 8 ” should be imo because it just won’t lay tight enough to the wall if blind nailed.

If you want to blind nailed Hardi, 6” or even better yet 5” exposure is the way to go.

It’s IMPOSSIBLE to face nail Hardi and have a uniform flush nail installation.
I agree with all this.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Retired carpenter

Talking about hardiplank, that faux grain looks really tacky to me. Best is the smooth kind, 6-1/4", with plus/minus 4-1/2" reveal, adjusted to start a board at the bottom and top of windows and doors.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote