Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

Blind Nailed Hardiplank (12")

I have had some companies out to give bids, and they've all told me 12" hardie lap siding needs to be face-nailed to fight lifting during hurricane force winds. I was told an inspector wouldn't pass the siding if its not face nailed, but why would older houses that haven't been upgraded to fiber cement and still using masonite siding pass inspection with only being blind nailed?

The issue I'm having with it is 2-3 years the caulk will shrink if they/I just cover the nails, or it'll look like the garage that was redone prior to me buying the house, in which when you're relatively close to the siding you see all the nail heads (not aesthetically pleasing).

My brother suggested liquid nails for the bottom, would this pass inspection? My brother also pointed out that Houston uses building code from 2003, is there somewhere I can read the code for siding?

IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

hardie can not be glued, 12''must be facenailed,those are hardies specs
i have never seen the masonite panel in that exposure not face nailed

don't like the look,find i different siding you do like,but don't try to install this product not to spec,you will probably be sorry if you do

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeRay View Post
. I was told an inspector wouldn't pass the siding if its not face nailed, but why would older houses that haven't been upgraded to fiber cement and still using masonite siding pass inspection with only being blind nailed?
Codes change
Older houses with existing siding etc are usually not required to meet new codes
Until they are resided
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeRay View Post
I have had some companies out to give bids, and they've all told me 12" hardie lap siding needs to be face-nailed to fight lifting during hurricane force winds. I was told an inspector wouldn't pass the siding if its not face nailed, but why would older houses that haven't been upgraded to fiber cement and still using masonite siding pass inspection with only being blind nailed?

The issue I'm having with it is 2-3 years the caulk will shrink if they/I just cover the nails, or it'll look like the garage that was redone prior to me buying the house, in which when you're relatively close to the siding you see all the nail heads (not aesthetically pleasing).

My brother suggested liquid nails for the bottom, would this pass inspection? My brother also pointed out that Houston uses building code from 2003, is there somewhere I can read the code for siding?
You can't do what you want or your brother wants. It's their product, you HAVE to install as per Hardie installation guide.Don't even bother trying to figure out any other way. If you do it your way and it fails you can't call Hardie up and complain to them. Google their installation guide and find out.

If you still don't want to do it the right way, do it your way and take a chance of this expensive siding failing in the future.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Mod

What do you have against nails IKE? Look around there everywhere.

Why would you caulk the nails? Now that would be an eyesore.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
hardie can not be glued, 12''must be facenailed,those are hardies specs
i have never seen the masonite panel in that exposure not face nailed

don't like the look,find i different siding you do like,but don't try to install this product not to spec,you will probably be sorry if you do
We're discussing using the 8 1/4" (7" reveal) for 2 reasons. firstly, the blind nailing; secondly, color plus doesn't come in 12" only 8 1/4" at biggest. We don't particularly like the smaller reveal, but I would rather blind nail and color plus over exposed nail heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Codes change
Older houses with existing siding etc are usually not required to meet new codes
Until they are resided
makes sense, no need to force someone to reside their house immediately after the code change, especially if they had just resided prior to code change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You can't do what you want or your brother [suggested]. It's their product, you HAVE to install as per Hardie installation guide.Don't even bother trying to figure out any other way. If you do it your way and it fails you can't call Hardie up and complain to them. Google their installation guide and find out.

If you still don't want to do it the right way, do it your way and take a chance of this expensive siding failing in the future.
yeah, first step before getting these bids was contacting hardie and getting not only the install instructions but reading through all the warranty stuff on their website. I'm all for doing things by the book, just didn't understand why masonite was blind nailed, and hardiplank has to be face nailed in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
What do you have against nails IKE? Look around there everywhere.

Why would you caulk the nails? Now that would be an eyesore.
I'm not a fan of exposed nails. I'm fine with nails holding things together, but I'd rather not have any exposed heads. As I said, the garage has exposed nail heads (they also for some reason used smooth hardi instead of cedar mill, and the spacing on the planks isn't consistent, bottom couple are 8 1/2" reveal (or around there give or take 1/16"), others are 9" (give or take 1/8") and one is 5 1/4", so I'm going to have to redo the garage, which isn't THAT much considering the rest of the house is ~1000sqft of siding.

as for the caulking of the nail heads, that's what I was told by the contractors, they said if their crewmen accidentally penetrate the siding (which happens more often than not apparently) they caulk, smooth, and paint. I like that idea since it would hide the nail heads, but caulk dries and shrivels over time and then it'd have to be peeled off, reapplied, and painted over.

I'm doing lots of research before diving into this project, especially if I end up DIYing, with these bids it seems we might need to in order to save some money (first bid we got was $35,000; 1000sqft siding, perforated soffit, hardi-trim, and 22 windows).

Thanks for the heads up on the liquid nails. is there a reason it wouldn't work? I understand it'd void the warranty (thus won't be done), just my curious mind would like to know.

IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote