Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

blending blacktop asphalt to new concrete

Not sure if this is the right location for this thread, but here it goes.

I recently had a new concrete driveway installed leading into a detached garage. I have a blacktop asphalt driveway turnaround that meets the new concrete driveway. There is currently a couple of inches gap/trench between the concrete and blacktop, as the concrete company had a wooden board as the form. I need to blend the two together as right now theres merely sand and gravel in the gap/crack area where it was dug out.

Whats the best way to proceed? I was thinking of filling in part of the trench gap with a couple of inches of gravel, tamp it in, and then install cold pack asphalt into the gap blending it to the height of the concrete and blacktop turnaround, tamping as I go to pack it in.

Does that sound adequate in filling that gap between the concrete and the blacktop turnaround? Will the new cold pack asphalt adhere to the gravel, old blacktop and new concrete so that it doesn't come out, especially during any freeze-thaw weather changes? I live in the midwest.

Thanks!

Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Cold patch is probably your best bet and will look the part. It won't last for very long, but you should get a few years out of it before major deterioration exists. At that point you chip it out and patch again. It's the same stuff they patch pot holes with and you'll notice they are usually solid for a year or two.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Thats kind of what I figured.

Will I have any problem with re-blacktopping over the cold patch?

I have a very long driveway that was blacktopped about 10 years ago, same stuff they put on the local hwys (pea gravel, asphalt). We were going to do the entire length again as its showing signs of wear, cracks, etc, but wanted to get the concrete done first, do it all.

We were hoping to patch with the cold patch, then do the entire driveway to last us a good 10 years again.. sound reasonable?, or will there be issues with the cold patch being underneath a new layer of pea gravel asphalt?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

If you're doing the whole driveway again with hot mix, I wouldn't even bother with a cold patch. It'll be a waste of $ and time.

If the joint gap now is really deep (6" or so below the proposed surface), You can throw a little stone process in there or have the asphalt contractor fill in the gap with hot mix. Either way should work. I'd recommend a joint sealer of sorts at the cold joint of the asphlat/concrete to keep moisture out. Freeze/thaw at cold joints will delaminate the asphalt at the joint well before the bulk of the driveway fails.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Unfortunately it will likely be at least a year before we do the whole driveway again. So I need get something in there this year, especially before winter, to prevent water, snow, etc from getting underneath the concrete and blacktop. Thats why I was thinking of doing cold patch to fill in the area between concrete and blacktop, and also fill in any other potholes before winter.. then next summer/fall.. likely do the entire driveway (but not the concrete driveways) with new blacktop.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

If I do as Im planning, should I put in some gravel in the spacing first before the cold patch? Its about 6-8 inches deep and anywhere from 3-8 inches wide between the concrete and blacktop in some spots.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

I'd separate the two materials with a cobblestone border. If you need to widen the gap, widen it. If you have bricks in the landscaping, use those.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #8

Ron's idea isn't bad. But if you want asphalt, then yes I'd lay in some process or stone dust and allow for 3-4" of cold patch...tamp both well. p.s. a little diesel fuel on the tamp will keep the tar from sticking...
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
Unfortunately it will likely be at least a year before we do the whole driveway again. So I need get something in there this year, especially before winter, to prevent water, snow, etc from getting underneath the concrete and blacktop. Thats why I was thinking of doing cold patch to fill in the area between concrete and blacktop, and also fill in any other potholes before winter.. then next summer/fall.. likely do the entire driveway (but not the concrete driveways) with new blacktop.
Ayuh,... Fill it with stone, 'n tamp in an inch or 2 of cold patch if you wish,...
The Blacktoppers will pop it out, when you get yer overlay next year, 'n fill it with hot mix...
Or,...
just fill it with stone til ya get it repaved....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote