Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blacktop in Garage Why Not?

Ok I have been reading several sites that say blacktop should NOT be used in a garage. I'm ready for all the negativity....I bought a house built in the 40's that has a 18x32 garage not attached to house, tore down garage, (had a cracked and very bad concrete unlevel floor) had a new 8 inch solid block foundation put over existing old foundation, had new asphalt put over old concrete (is road grade asphalt, which the guys that did the blacktop do the roads for the city so I got the leftover city road asphalt any better than regular blacktop?) . The blacktop goes all the way around garage which creats a huge pull off and then goes in garage with proper run off. And helps secure the new foundation for the garage. I will not be using this garage for anything other than maybe pull my car into in the winter, no workbenches or storage as i have a 20x60 building on this little farm. Please tell me if i made a mistake. Or any good points , if any. Don't be kind I can take it!And I forgot, the new garage isn't built yet! But it will be soon.

Last edited by alyce51; 10-07-2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: add something
alyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Deck Staining Pro

Rewards Points: 75

If i remember reading right, street grade asphalt wont drain as well as a driveway asphalts even with good pitch. You will get puddling.

And if this is a closed garage think about the heat in the summer and the bad fumes you will get. Probably also more of a risk of sinking where you park the car at.

"Bringing New life to Old Wood"
bigchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Just make sure you don't have any gas or oil leaks. - When was the last time you saw a service station with asphalt pavement instead of concrete? - asphalt "melts" and can be a hazard.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

the asphalt alsio moves and compresses if you try to use floor jacks and Jackstands as where Concrete won't move.
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote