Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

Share |

black shadows/stains on walls

Looking to buy home (2003 stick built) there are black shadows or stains along the ceiling/wall lines. On west end (interior) I can see the outline of the End Gable truss. There are long streaks on some walls and black shadows on ceiling. Where ever pictures were hung, there appears to be some bleeding as well. I am a contractor in the Manufactured home industry and have seen Mold. This, I just don't under stand. Shadows and or stains are on interior and exterior walls. I do plan on getting a Home Inspection done, however, I am looking for knowledge on the many possibilities. Thanks Larry

gaylew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylew44 View Post
Looking to buy home (2003 stick built) there are black shadows or stains along the ceiling/wall lines. On west end (interior) I can see the outline of the End Gable truss. There are long streaks on some walls and black shadows on ceiling. Where ever pictures were hung, there appears to be some bleeding as well. I am a contractor in the Manufactured home industry and have seen Mold. This, I just don't under stand. Shadows and or stains are on interior and exterior walls. I do plan on getting a Home Inspection done, however, I am looking for knowledge on the many possibilities. Thanks Larry
Smoke damage? Could there have been a fire somewhere in the structure?

Have any photos you can post?

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #3

Josh-I'm real OK, I'm not your son!!! If you believe the house is trashed, then explain your reasoning-If not shut-up
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #4

Jamie, thank you for your thoughts-I don't know yet about a fire-however, the people that were buying the home, I guess just live down the street (this is foreclosure). The neighbors-say they don't recall any fires there. This is an upscaled neighbor-hood, so I would assume the construction to be above average. I will try to take some pictures tomarrow. Thanks again for you input.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

It could be due from a number of reasons!. what type of heat is in the house, Hot air or oil fired hot water, The boiler could of been running rough! kitchen exhaust fan not well vented, or never used when cooking. is there a fireplace in the house? I have seen many stains like the one your describing which was contributed to a poorly running boiler. I hope this will help some what! Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylew44 View Post
Josh-I'm real OK, I'm not your son!!! If you believe the house is trashed, then explain your reasoning-If not shut-up
I agree with you and must apologize for the posters UN professional response! .
Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #7

gaylew44,

Post some pic's if you can.

I've dealt with a lot of smoke damage over the years.

It does sound like something smokey went on. Sometimes small fire events occur and the FD is not involved. Sounds like $ got tight for previous owners ( there, but by the grace of God go we all). They may have tried to deal with this themselves.

Are the "shadows and streaks" on the surface? You could try a chemical sponge and test.

If under the paint:

If smoke is not removed or cleaned well, prior to Kilz and painting... the staining can burn through. You may be able to Prime with kilz and paint.
Use Flat paint... spot touch up (kilz & paint) may be needed.

Take a good hard look at the windows on this wall... ( weather strips and all corners)

The gable end truss shadow....? ...weird...

let us know.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
gaylew44,

Post some pic's if you can.

I suspected smoke damage of some kind as well.

Big bob: What do you think of Zinssers BIN Shellac for fire damage? I used some of it recently for several projects and read a lot about it on their web site. I also used oil based kilz on a project about 2 months ago, and it did work pretty well, but was disappointed in the coverage compared to the coverage I got out of the can of BIN. I've been pretty impressed with it, and it seemed superior to Kilz in terms of how it covered and sealed.

It BIN is close to $25, vs $13 for the oil based kilz. However I would say I got about 30%+ more coverage from a can of BIN, the BIN covered better, and the smell! BIN is alcohol based, and the smell dissipates quickly. I found the smell of applying 2 cans of Kilz oil based to be pretty bad - I don't mind if it is bad during application, I can wear an osha approved respirator for that. However the Kilz smell took several days to go away from the whole house. The BIN smell is just gone in like an hour.

Anyway, I have no financial interest in either company (or any company for that matter). I've just been kind of impressed with several of the aspects of BIN that I mentioned above. Here is the document that I read on the Zinsser web site about BIN:

http://www.zinsser.com/pdf/ShellacFi...estoration.pdf

If that is really fire / smoke damage, I would either use one coat of the BIN or 2 coats of the oil based Kilz, just based on my personal experience.

All of the above assuming it is really smoke fire damage. However, if it is something else, and you just want to cover it up so you can repaint, the same thing would work, either priming with BIN or Kilz.

Good Luck- Let us know if you get some photos you can post, I am interested in seeing them.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #9

Jamie,

We have used them both... It really depends on the make-up of the smoke and the size of the project.

We do our own cleaning and prep... not because it's fun or cheaper that way.... we figure out the best next step for that particular project.

Every fire is different and produces it's own unique soot.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #10

Most likely there is an oil boiler involved. I've seen this MANY times in manufactured homes, poor insulation combined with poor performing furnace, the soot filled air condenses on the cold walls.
HCI Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

My first thought is that the previous occupant burned lots of scented candles and the soot condensed on any cooler areas of the walls. I would be prepared to wash them down and repaint. Get a moisture meter and check the walls for any levels that are out of line. Check areas that are stained against those that aren't to see if there is any significant difference. There is always the possibility of an odd or wrong insulation/vapor retarder installation too. We have no information on where this is located, or what type of climatic conditions may be involved. Any unvented gas fireplaces in this house?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #12

What are describing sounds like poor insulation. The cold travels through the wood members. The lines on the wall are cold and slight condensation occurs. This attracts dirt and you end up with lines where the structure is. It is most common on ceilings where there is poor insulation in the attic.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
What are describing sounds like poor insulation. The cold travels through the wood members. The lines on the wall are cold and slight condensation occurs. This attracts dirt and you end up with lines where the structure is. It is most common on ceilings where there is poor insulation in the attic.
would what your stating also happen to the interior walls? Because I believe the OP also said interior and exterior walls.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #14

Here is a link with some very nice pictures. It's called thermal tracking.
I don't see where interior walls were indicated other the interior of the gable ends.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/interiors/ThermalTracking.htm
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Here is a link with some very nice pictures. It's called thermal tracking.
I don't see where interior walls were indicated other the interior of the gable ends.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/interiors/ThermalTracking.htm
It was the second row from the bottom I,ll paste it below.

I just don't under stand. Shadows and or stains are on interior and exterior walls. I do plan on getting a Home Inspection done, however, I am looking for knowledge on the many possibilities. Thanks Larry
What you are stating is something I also is interested in. Thanks for the Link, BOB