Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bit Of Help On This One

Hello all,
Just joined this forum, Peter from the United Kingdom here.
I own a 1930s semi detached house.Has double skin exterior walls. House had a small galley kitchen, then a rear extension was added which is a large kitchen now. Knocked out the original rear window in the galley kitchen. ( see attached photos ) Am putting a door in each end to make into a utility or office room. We made up a door frame, used wood noggins along the sides to space the frame. This was quite complicated to do, could it have been done another way, using bricks, whatever?

I used a large angle grinder to cut the brickwork back, loads of brick dust everywhere! Even though I took a lot of care using the angle grinder and gave it a lot of respect, was still unhappy using it. In retrospect, I think I could have knocked bricks out, taken them outside, cut them to size, then cemented them back in?
Any help advice on this one much appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Bit Of Help On This One-003.jpg   Bit Of Help On This One-004.jpg   Bit Of Help On This One-005.jpg  

EarthTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Bit Of Help On This One

Sorry but that is just a mess and completly wrong.
http://wayneofthewoods.com/Tiphowtoframeadoor.htm

You have nothing to support the bricks above, nothing to attach the outsides of the trim to, almost nothing to keep the bottom of the jambs from moving.
It's all got to come out.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Bit Of Help On This One

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

You have nothing to support the bricks above, nothing to attach the outsides of the trim to, almost nothing to keep the bottom of the jambs from moving.
I thought that might be the case There is a concrete lintel above the top of the frame, supporting the bricks, not that silly, to leave unsupported!!!!
Beneath the lintil is a length of timber we nailed the top of frame to that, the concrete lintel runs above the length of timber just mentioned.

Last edited by EarthTribe; 05-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Bit Of Help On This One

Why not use a prehung door. I would use single pieces of 2x framing lumber on either side of the opening on the inside brick wall. You only need to secure them to the top and bottom plates. You would then have nice straight area to nail your door frame into. How to fill in that gap between the new door and the brick is going to be tough cosmetically.

You will have no chance to get a door supported on those little 1x boards, it will flex all over the place and door will likely not open and close properly.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Bit Of Help On This One

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Hello again,
I think what you suggest, iin England we call it a stud partition wall, filled with insulation mineral wool, faced with pasterboard and plaster on top of that. The floor is concrete. The concrete lintel extends 9 inch each side of the outer bricks. If I knocked the bricks out to the sidewalls, don't think would be enough support for the lintil. In England to put on the edge of brickwork we use a 90 degree galvanised wire mesh called angle bead, which is then filled with plaster. Though there is a big gap each side.
Cheers.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Bit Of Help On This One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill01 View Post
Why not use a prehung door. I would use single pieces of 2x framing lumber on either side of the opening on the inside brick wall. You only need to secure them to the top and bottom plates. You would then have nice straight area to nail your door frame into. How to fill in that gap between the new door and the brick is going to be tough cosmetically.

You will have no chance to get a door supported on those little 1x boards, it will flex all over the place and door will likely not open and close properly.
OK thanks, see my other reply to joecaptain. One idea I had, though I don't think is a very good one. Could as you suggest use 2 inch timber, when I get my planer/ thicknesser, could put several together to fill in the gap to the frame, and the exact width by planing the final timber to fit exact, as I say not such a great idea
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Bit Of Help On This One

1. Your frame is too flimsy, as has been pointed out; replace it with thicker timber or a ready-made frame; make sure it is well-braced.

2. Pack the void with broken brick, or brick-on-end etc, with plenty of mortar; drive some long screws through the frame to bind in with the mortar.

3. stick plasterboard over the brickwork and then skim with board finish.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

Bit Of Help On This One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
1. Your frame is too flimsy, as has been pointed out; replace it with thicker timber or a ready-made frame; make sure it is well-braced.

2. Pack the void with broken brick, or brick-on-end etc, with plenty of mortar; drive some long screws through the frame to bind in with the mortar.

3. stick plasterboard over the brickwork and then skim with board finish.
Hi thanks for the input. I've been thinking of bricking it up. Using a brick longways, down flat, if not long enough to span the inner and outer wall, then chop a brick to fill the gap in the length. What do you think?
Cheers.