Birds In My Walls! Need To Repair... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Birds in my walls! Need to repair...

The cat was taking particular interest in one outside wall the other day, listened close and heard some clattering and chirping. Took a look outside and there was a hole in the wall right beside the electrical mast

Tried the attic, no dice. Went up the ladder with a little flexible wire camera (like for looking in sewers) and found 2 birds. Managed to get them out after poking them for a while with the camera and screwed some wood over top.

Looking in the hole from the outside, I can see the back side of the drywall. The vapor barrier, insulation, sheeting and siding is all gone. I was thinking about taking out a chunk of drywall and rebuilding from inside the house (so I don't have to be 25' up a ladder trying to fix it).

Mentioned this to a finishing carpenter at work and he suggested a can of spray foam instead. Said it'll fill the void right up and act as a vapor barrier as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisement

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd go with the spray foam as well.

DM

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
King Construction Inc.

Rewards Points: 25

spray foam would work perfect... you can insulate and fix the hole at the same time without cutting into sheetrock and going that route, much easyer fix
nking is offline   Reply With Quote