Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #1

Share |

Birds Mouth or Strong Tie?

I remember seeing a Simson Strong Tie product at HD that looks like it would take the place of a birds mouth cut on a rafter. I'm building a small 8 x 10 building with a gable roof. Has anyone used these in place of a birds mouth cut before? It looks like the piece sits on top of the top plate and accepts the rafter at various angles. Thanks.

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #2

The Strong Tie or Hurricane clip should be used in conjunction with a properly cut birds mouth. This tie is mainly intended to forestall hurricane wind updrafts and is not replacement for a properly seated rafter. A Birds mouth on the other hand creates a proper seat for download.

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #3

Actually I was just reading where the Simson H1 or H10 can be used in place of a Birdsmouth cut. Has anyone used these in place of a birdsmouth?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/h.html

Last edited by billinak; 09-27-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
remodeling pro

I guess they would work ok for a small utility building like your project, but I don't think they would be allowed on a major addition or new construction. I agree with jiggyback, they are primarily to resist wind uplift. The seat of the birdmouth will distribute the rafter load over the entire width of the top plate, whereas your method will concentrate all of the weight to the very outside corner of the plate, as that will be the only point where the rafter and plate will contact each other.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the input