Bird Notch Question And Other Questions? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bird notch question and other questions?

can you trace a bird notch from a 2x4 to a 2x6 or 2x8?.im rebuilding the roof on my shop and will be using the same slope/run(3/12).the past owner used 2x4's 24" OC with tongue/groove on top.they also used a 2x8 ridge board which i will be re-using.i want to insulate the roof and would like to place insulation in between the 2x framing of the roof,there is none now and we live in Tucson Az.i will be using 16" OC,my shop is 12x14,8ft high and is constructed of cement block.what is the widest 2x you can use for a rafter so i can maximize insulation?.
thx.jeff

Advertisement

jeffski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

If you want to reuse the 2x8 ridge, it would be best to mate that up with 2x6 rafters, because of the cut at the top of the 2x6. It would also be acceptable to use 2x8, but the rafter would hang below the ridge by a small amount.
Good luck.

Advertisement

cardiobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Take a framing square and set one side of the square at the 3" mark and then the other side of the square at the 12" mark. Then take a couple of (I believe they are called stair pegs?? they clip onto the framing square) those pegs and fasten them onto the square. Then everytime you place your square against the wood you will have the same angle. When it comes to the insulation, it depends on how much you would like. With your new roof, will you have the 2x's running across the top of the wall, or will it be more like a vaulted ceiling?? I am not sure of the way things are built down in Az, but here we like to have plenty of venting going through our roofs.
XXwilsoXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 274

Use one good straight 2X4 rafter to trace the length. Finish the lines with a framing square. Draw this one the straightest 2x6 (or what you're using for rafters) and use this for your pattern to mark the others.
You can use a 2X4 underneath the 2X8 ridge for the rafter heel to rest against if you plan to save it.
Me personally, I wouldn't save it unless it's perfectly straight. I didn't know you could/should insulate rafter bays, btw.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #5

thx for the replies everyone.i'm using a new 2x8 for the ridge board,2x6's for the rafters so the ceiling will be vaulted,changed the slope-run to 4/12 for a higher slope for overhead storage.i will place R19 between the rafters with bird holes at the end of the rafters for air circulation...today i installed the new ridge board and finally figured out the bird mouth cut.hope to get the whole roof done by this weekend so i can get on to the real fun of designing/setting up the inside.
Thx,Jeff
jeffski1 is offline   Reply With Quote