Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #1

Share |

Bike shed starting to skew

About a year ago I build my own shed for my motorcycle after the tin garden shed I had collapsed in a storm. The Shed is 1800mm high, 2400mm deep and 1600mm wide. I've put 100x50 studs at 600mm centres, dwangs at about mid way up. I've attached plywood to the outside of the walls which I've build separately , then joined them all together with coach bolts. The roof is then bolted on top and the whole thing is bolted to the car deck. The door at the front is 1200mm wide and the full height of the shed. It seems solid as a rock and I thought with the plywood fastened to the frames, and being quite small it wouldn't need angle bracing, but I've noticed the door has begun to scrape on the ground when I open it, and is hard to close (I have to kick it really hard). I've used gate hinges as the door is heavy and there is no sign of them dropping at all so that's not the cause - I'm concerned the whole structure is starting to skew although there are no visible signs of this. So if that is the case what is the best approach for stopping it from getting worse? I was thinking of some sort of metal brace nailed from corner to corner on the walls, but I don't have much cash to invest in it, and I don't want to go overboard either. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way sorry about the metric measurements, I'm in New Zealand...

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

The Shed is 1800mm (70") high, 2400mm (94") deep and 1600mm (63") wide. I've put 100 (4") x 50 (2") studs at 600mm (23.5") centres.

I'd say to perhaps use some nails to attach the plywood to the wood studs. If I read your post right, you've used bolts at the corners. I'd straighten it out, bang in some nails and see if it doesn't stay in shape better. Diagonals would likely help as well. A picture might help us visualize your problem.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

The ply is nailed on, I've just used the bolts to hold the walls to each other. What would you recommend to use for the diagonals? some sort of steel strip? I'll try to take some pics tonight when I get home from work.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote