Big Scary Stone Chimney - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Big scary stone chimney

This house was built in 1964 and this chimney was inspected about 5 years ago. It has leaked for at least 6 years. I worked for the lady who sold it to new boss. Well, two years ago a mason came out and put a new crown on it. The leaks didn't stop and last year a guy came out and added a cricket. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a hack and didn't complete the job. As well, he didn't do the job right. I went up on the roof with a sprinkler and found the sources of the leaks. They were from the caps, the crown, the cricket, the flashing where the chimney meets the roof and I suspect the mortar as well.

I removed the new crown as well as the old crown and one cracked clay flue section. I have to add a section of the clay liner on two of three flues being used in order to put new flue caps on right. Here are a few pictures of what I have found during this whole process.

I need some advice here. What would you do if this chimney was on your roof? I posted some questions and pics in the roofing section as well under L shaped chimney.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Grass Valley Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Big scary stone chimney

Is that re-bar and angle iron inside the flue? A distance shot would help to understand what we're looking at.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #3

Big scary stone chimney

It is a piece of rebar that I am guessing was meant to be used to support the metal he used. The problem is that the rebar didn't support much of anything and the metal he used is corrugated roofing. As you can see the metal roofing is all rusted out. The inside of that suare is also damp and the mortar is pretty crumbley. I will try to upload a better picture. I don't have high speed so it will take a while. Thanks for looking. I am thinking I'm going to have to take the disks I burned to a high speed connection and attach a link to shutterfly. That metal piece I pulled up and square opening I found is to the right of the highest brick.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #4

Big scary stone chimney

Okay here is another pic I am going to take more today. That square opening in the chimney is drying out since being uncovered. I have found more problems with this big chimney. I will post new questions tonite. This square opening is not a flue. It is one of two squares that appears to be where the builder tied three seperate chimneys together. I don't know if this is important, but I haven't found any wire mesh of any kind holding the mortar and stone to the block infrastructer of these chimneys. Does anyone know of a good detailed book I can purchase about building chimneys? I guess I will try our local library, but we are a small town and it doesn't offer much. Thanks again for looking.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Big scary stone chimney

I think with all the problems you have, I would cut it down to the level where it's not wrecked and rebuild from there up. Then you can properly flash the cricket and repair the flue liners at the same time, plus put a proper cap on top.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #6

Big scary stone chimney

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately my boss doesn't want me to find more problems. He just wants me to put a crown and caps on it as well as the new flashing and a cricket. Also put new roofing where I had torn off the old damaged stuff. But here's the kicker. He said it Damn well better not leak! Oh well, such is life! I personally think the chimney should be taken down to the roof and rebuilt properly. Especially due to the fact that the mortar holding the inner structure is falling out and the beams that run through the middle of this three piece chimney are rotting. I guess it's a good thing we don't get many earthquakes in this part of California. Wish me luck!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Big scary stone chimney

Tell him that doing only half the job is like polishing a turd. It's a sorry affair and deserves to be repaired properly and permanently. Anything less is a band-aid. Seems to me that since he's only doing half the job, it will only leak half as much.

Advertisement