Big Foot Footings - How Many? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Big Foot Footings - How many?

I just called BigFoot systems and the smallest footing system they sell is a BF-20 which is 20" round. I really only need 16", but I'll go with this because it is easier than building my own footings and will save me time.

They will ship free if I order 6 or more.

Here is my question: I have attached a drawing of my 32x10 porch. I am building on 2x8 lumber. The porch will be built on clay soil. Do I really need BF-20 footings at every location that I have noted on my drawing? It's probably not something you all might be able to answer, I do understand that, but if you could give me reasons why I would need the support rather than just going with a 12" tube on the footings closest to the foundation walls.

FYI, decks.com recommends the following: I assumed this is a minimum, because the deck will also be supporting a roof.

Beams:Southern Pine:2-2x6
Corner Footings:Clay:9" diameter
Intermediate Footings:Clay:13" diameter
Attached Thumbnails
Big Foot Footings - How many?-deck-layout.jpg  

Advertisement

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You really need to call the codes department in the city you live in to determine what the local codes and requirements are. They vary regionally and from city to city, mostly because of frost issues and soil bearing capacities.

You may find that proprietary footing systems are a big waste of money.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

This is a photo of the house when the contractor was trying to build it. I tore it all down and am starting from scratch, but at least you can see the 2 roofs that it will tie into.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Foot Footings - How many?-house-009.jpg  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You really need to call the codes department in the city you live in to determine what the local codes and requirements are. They vary regionally and from city to city, mostly because of frost issues and soil bearing capacities.

You may find that proprietary footing systems are a big waste of money.
Thanks for the reply. I am not interested in building to the minimum standards of code. I plan on living in this house for a long time, and don't want the added stress of replacing things later. The code enforcement here is a joke. 12 " is the frost line (great for me), I am digging down 2 feet and putting 6" of gravel. They only require 12" round footings. They don't even care that I am on clay soil, the code guy already passed the other guys footings, and I dug them out. I'm thinking he used 1 - 60lb bag. That may be good for a deck, but I don't believe they are ok for a porch with gable roof spanning 30 + feet.

Last edited by my5sons; 11-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

You may want to have a local structural engineer design and inspect the footings for you. Cheap insurance.
samjack is offline   Reply With Quote