Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Project Manager

Share |

The Big Dig - Basement and Foundation

I am developing a property and need to dig the basement to gain the ceiling height. Finished ceiling height will be 8' and we need to dig down 12". Without knowing how deep the footers are below grade, is digging down 12" and providing benching around the perimeter of 12", going to be sufficient to keep the integrity of the foundation? This is in a row house.

Jigo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

Sounds like a fun job. Any reason you have not dug down to see how deep the footers are?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigo2k1 View Post
I am developing a property and need to dig the basement to gain the ceiling height. Finished ceiling height will be 8' and we need to dig down 12". Without knowing how deep the footers are below grade, is digging down 12" and providing benching around the perimeter of 12", going to be sufficient to keep the integrity of the foundation? This is in a row house.
I'de drill for plenty of rebar to tie everything together. Are you pouring a slab?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

There's absolutely no way anyone can answer this w/o an onsight evaluation, especially w/o knowing the soil structure. This is the kind of job where expert analysis, as well as deep experience, and a good back-up plan are extremely important.

MY OWN experience tells me that the wall/footing won't be deep enough and you'll be placing yourself in a large amount of liability as soon as you start removing the floor.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

to me, ' row house ' suggests metro philly/baltimore area but wherever/whatever you're doing will need to be permitted work as your fine home affects the adjoining shacks your best bet is retaining a structural pro engineer who has const/contractor experience,,, every week i advise callers to retain a pe BEFORE considering projects or drawing budgets,,, when they think $ 350 - $ 400 is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$, i wish them well & hang up.

yours is do-able but 1st things 1st - be a shame to get it all done then find out you can't sell because the work wasn't permitted let alone allowed
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Project Manager

The structural enginner will be part of the architects package, so no problem there. I am Permits, yes, Absolutely...The home is not purchased yet, but it is under contract with a contingency...So at this point I am just budgeting. Jomama has a good point, there's no way to tell until we bust a hole and sample the depth.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Project Manager

I thought if we bench it all the way around 12:12 then it doesn't matter what the depth of the foundation is? Does that sound right?