DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

big box stores only carry S-GRN lumber

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BlueBSH 
#1 ·
i stopped by the nearby big box store this evening for a few extra pieces of lumber. The lumber yard is too far out of the way and closes early, so usually save lumber needs for one big trip.

anyway, so i was at the big box store, and all i could find was green lumber all stamped "S-GRN". I was only able to find one small pile of KD wood, 2x4x8', no other sizes available.

Do people actually build with these? Or do they take them home and store it to air dry?

#4 ·
My lowes does :huh:

#7 · (Edited)
I think you’re worrying about this to much Ace. In 25 years of building I can only remember a handful of times where units of KD lumber were dropped at the job.

Most of America is built with green lumber.

The important thing is to find almost straight wood, get it framed in and covered up so it can’t move.

It’s funny though, I remember a few years back when Lowes advertised that all their lumber was KD S4S. Haven’t seen those commercials in quite some time.

#8 ·
I think you’re worrying about this to much Ace. In 25 years of building I can only remember a handful of times where units of KD lumber were dropped at the job.

Most of America was built with green lumber.

The important thing is to find straight wood, get it framed in and covered up so it can’t move.

It’s funny though, I remember a few years back when Lowes advertised that all their lumber was KD S4S. Haven’t seen those commercials in quite some time.

The last load I got from lows was KD I think it was S4S not sure now that it's all covered up I can't check :laughing:

I think most of it though is S2S now though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.