Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

BID Documents

Planning on bidding out a new house to subs. Anyone know where I can get generic forms, or do I just use the plans my draftsman draws up? I would think you would want to specify certain things....
Thanks in advance!
Patrick from MO
(Building first house).
patrikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #2

BID Documents

In the real world of residential construction, you don't write specs. The exception to that (sometimes) is homes that cost several million dollars. If you have a good architect, they should include all the specs that you want on your plans (furnace, AC, electrical plan, interior elevations for the trim guy, etc.).

Otherwise, a simple scope of work for each trade to base their bid on isn't a bad idea. Even better, let the contractors bid the house based on your guidelines and ask that they list out exactly what is being included in that bid. Don't forget to have the archtect reference the applicable code on the plans so you're sure that they're at least bidding work compliant with minimum requirements.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

BID Documents

As already stated by KCT, the particular plan pages are generally supplied to the subs.

Those plans are sometimes returned with their individual bids, if you don't want the plans circulating. I'd suggest this.

Generally the necessary plans are supplied along with a cover page containin the request for bid particular project phase/subcontract work....and what you want bidded out.

I've never seen a "form" per say.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

BID Documents

In my day job, I use a bid form (almost a book), but that is for commercial work where my subcontracts can get pretty large.

Don't worry about a bid form for residential quotes - not many people would use it anyway. They want to send you their form with their terms and conditions pre-printed on it. Develop a bullet list of scope specific questions for each contract to be awarded and qualify each bid. When I built my house a few years ago, I developed a spreadsheet with a separate tab for each contract to award to keep track of it.