Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

"Better" or "proper" way to build this 4' wooden picket fence?

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section and move as appropriate, I thought "construction" was most fitting.

I'm installing 180' of 4' picket fence around my front yard. 4x4 pressure-treated posts are spaced 7.x feet apart.
2x4s are pressure treated. Pickets are going to be 3/4" dog ear cedar.

I have seen the 2x4s and pickets attached a couple different ways, so I am wondering which is the "better" way
to do it, and for what reasons. One way has the 2x4s running across the face of the 4x4s; the other has the
2x4s attached between the facing sides of adjacent 4x4s using hangers or toe-nailing.

Thank you.

Ignore the color codes, I decided to do all wood after I priced out the vinyl. Right now I'm just doing the front yard.

Here is Option 1:

Here is Option 2:

Last edited by Dave88LX; 06-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

It is purely asthetics. You probably should be asking your wife. If you do plan on having a taller gate like shown in one of the pictures, flush mounting is more common.

Mounting flush and between the posts is usually less time consuming because you don't have to mount the pickets on the posts.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

BTW, if you go to a good lumber yard they may have premade sections that aren't that much more than stick built. I think the big box store have them as well, but the quality usually is not as good.

I helped my dad build a picket fence 30 yeaars ago using premade sections and did over 200 ft in one weekend. Once the posts are set it goes quickly.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

I asked my wife. She rattled off about something else she'd rather have me work on instead.

I only plan on having a 4' tall gate.

I'm not sure I follow regarding mounting pickets on the posts?

My property has a somewhat defined slope, so I'd have to step the prebuilt panels.

Fun fun!
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I asked my wife. She rattled off about something else she'd rather have me work on instead.

I only plan on having a 4' tall gate.

I'm not sure I follow regarding mounting pickets on the posts?

My property has a somewhat defined slope, so I'd have to step the prebuilt panels.

Fun fun!
If you look at the corner of the fence in your last picture you will notice two pickets are attached to the post. If the pickets are installed outside the plane of the post this is usually done.

If your property is sloped you want to place a string about 6 to 8 inches above the top board and have the top of the picket barely touches the string. If there is a gap between pickets traditionally the pickets are cut off square and if the pickets abutt then cut off parallel to the string. This is by tradition, not a hard and fast rule. My dad did his using a three picket stair step cut on the bottom, because the hill had a decreasing slope as it got to the top.