Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to tighten the screws?

If I have a few screws when I drove into the wood they spins probably due to driver torque set too high now they can't be tightened.

Normally I would just use longer screws but in this case the wood is 1x and behind that is concrete block so I can't use longer screws unless I drill holes in the concrete.

Will inserting a toothpick work or do I need to patch wood filler into the screw holes let dry and try again?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Tooth pick and a dab of wood glue.
Wood filler would never work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #3

Could always use a drill bit and drill hole diameter larger, add wood glue and hammer in a dowel
r.mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #4

Can you not just move the screw a little bit? Or use a larger diameter screw? If not, I'd go with inserting a dowel.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Can you not just move the screw a little bit? Or use a larger diameter screw? If not, I'd go with inserting a dowel.
No. These are elbow outlets with brass ears at the end of copper pipes. I can move them but it would involve straining the pipe a little. Or I would have to remove many other straps for connecting valves, and shift the whole thing.

Also the brass fitting's "ears" have small size holes, can't use larger screws.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
JOATMON

Toothpick may not be enough mass....chances are the wood is soft pine....if that's the case....go grab a chuck of 2x4 and using a knife, cut off a sliver from the long edge....you basically want to fill the hole with wood....if it sticks out....no problem...hammers work fine as an adjusting tool.....then, put in the screw.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote