Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #1

Share |

Best way to support 4 upright plywood sheets (to serve as walls)?

I'm going to be getting 30 chicks in a few days and need a place to put them until they get big enough to go in with the rest outside. My plan is pretty basic: put a tarp down in the spare bedroom, cut 4 sheets of plywood to the right size, put the 4 plywood sheets upright around the four corners of the tarp to serve as walls (think of a box with no bottom or top), staple the tarp's edges to the plywood halfway up on all sides (so nothing spills out onto the floor) then put shavings/food/water/heat lamp/the chicks in there. Oh, and lay a sheet of chicken wire over the top of the whole thing.

Now, I've never built anything before in my life so bear with me, but what would be a good way to keep those four sheets of plywood upright and in place? I was thinking of lining both sides of all 4 sheets with cinder blocks but so far that's the best I've got. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, this will only be temporary (3 weeks or so) then it's all coming down again.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

joss88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #2

I would put a 2x2 (or 2x4, if you don't want to spend time ripping them), on end, in each corner, same length as your side will be tall, and attach the plywood to them with 1-1/2" or 1-5/8" long drywall screws.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joss88 View Post
I'm going to be getting 30 chicks in a few days and need a place to put them until they get big enough to go in with the rest outside. My plan is pretty basic: put a tarp down in the spare bedroom, cut 4 sheets of plywood to the right size, put the 4 plywood sheets upright around the four corners of the tarp to serve as walls (think of a box with no bottom or top), staple the tarp's edges to the plywood halfway up on all sides (so nothing spills out onto the floor) then put shavings/food/water/heat lamp/the chicks in there. Oh, and lay a sheet of chicken wire over the top of the whole thing.

Now, I've never built anything before in my life so bear with me, but what would be a good way to keep those four sheets of plywood upright and in place? I was thinking of lining both sides of all 4 sheets with cinder blocks but so far that's the best I've got. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, this will only be temporary (3 weeks or so) then it's all coming down again.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Nail them together at each corner and they won't go anywhere.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #4

They sell angle brackets. Put 2 in each corner with some screws.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

I second the 2x4 inside each corner. Attach to ends of two sides, and then fold up and attach the others.

If the chicks can't jump higher than 2 feet, You might be able to get away with (2) sheets of 5/8 ripped in half, and (1) 2x4x8 cut into quarters.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #6

Screw (pre-drill) some 1x2 on the top and bottom (inside) corners a couple of feet out, diagonally to hold in check.

Be safe, Gary