Best Way To Remove 50 Yr Old Tiles. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 75

Best way to remove 50 yr old Tiles.

I have a bathroom that I'm redoing, and it has tile 4 feet up the walls all the way around the room. It appears to applied by attaching a metal mesh to the studs and then applying an inch of concrete and then thin set and the half inch tile on top of that. Does anyone have a good recommendation for the best way to remove all this tile without damaging the studs too much, and of course with the lease frustration. I've heard that a reciprocating saw might help do the trick. thoughts?
Thanks.

I just realized this should probably be in a different forum (remodeling) sorry about that.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hobb3s; 04-02-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: mistake
Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
l1r

Rewards Points: 25

Are you just redoing the tile (you want to get rid of tiles, but leave mesh with concrete there for your new tiles), or do you want to completely have it all gone so you can put drywall on the wall?

Advertisement

l1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1r View Post
Are you just redoing the tile (you want to get rid of tiles, but leave mesh with concrete there for your new tiles), or do you want to completely have it all gone so you can put drywall on the wall?
I'm completely removing everything down to the studs, mesh concrete and all.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have a mud tile job. Hammer the tiles from top to bottom and remove the tile layer first. You'll get a few of the ,"bisquits" with it. Those are the enlish muffin shaped concrete patties behind the tile holding it to the scratch coat. Clean up all that debris before the next step. You can either remove the muffin shaped concrete or start prying off the wire lath with the muffins attached. You can do it in 2 foot section to reduce the weight.
Have a few pair of heavy duty leather gloves, eye protection , long sleeves and some bandaids. You will bleed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
BuilderRemodeler

If no Gloves - You will Bleed - Yes.

Use Safety Protection!

Sharp Edges are like Razor Blades... I Learned this the Hard Way - Twice .
Later one of my guys was in E. R. not learning from my silly mistake!

Also if you have access to a similar tool... we like to use our hammer drill chisel attachment for our Bosch SDS shank hammer drill.

A regular masonry chisel or even a hammer with a wonder bar do fast work.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
weekend warrior

Thanks guys, those are some good recommendations. I will definitely be donning the safety gear.
The wire mesh, is it all one piece that I need to cut through to get it off in smaller chunks, or is it typically put up in sections? If so, what's best tool to cut through it?
Thanks Again.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

The mesh is 24" wide and installed horizontally. As you work down the wall the pieces will separate at the seams or just tear with the crowbar force. You don't need to deal with the lath separately, it comes off with the scratch coat.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The mesh is 24" wide and installed horizontally. As you work down the wall the pieces will separate at the seams or just tear with the crowbar force. You don't need to deal with the lath separately, it comes off with the scratch coat.
Ron
Excellent, thanks for the information, you've been very helpful.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
weekend warrior

Thanks everyone for your advice. It worked out well, it took two of us about 6 hrs to get all the tile, mesh, concrete off the studs, much faster than I had anticipated. No injuries to speak of, just tired muscles.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to remove 50 yr old Tiles.-tile.jpg   Best way to remove 50 yr old Tiles.-tile2.jpg   Best way to remove 50 yr old Tiles.-tile3.jpg  

Advertisement