Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to open up attic space?

I just bought my first home this week. Its a 1950 home and there was an addition added about 20 years ago ( so i was told). Well im trying to open up the little hole they have to get to the old part of house. The walk up attic stairs is now located in the additions walk in closet. Unfortunaltly they only left a 12 inch by 16 inch hole to slide through ( which is impossible for me).Once I enter the old side of the attic the attic drops about another two and a half feet, so i can stand up on that side. So can I remove any of these vertical supports without comprimising the roof? or whats the best way to go by moving one of these supports out of the way? Thanks for the help in advance! I have pics I can email to better understand this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to open up attic space?-cam1-059.jpg   Best way to open up attic space?-cam1-063.jpg   Best way to open up attic space?-cam1-060.jpg  
bpchevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #2

What are you trying to achieve with this? Just access for what? Looks like a hodge podge of framing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

well the cable guy came today and said he needs to rewire the whole attic to get it up to date. but he need the hole to be alot bigger plus some of the insulation needs to be moved back .(someone else moved it around, installing bathroom vent).and being 6 ft and 240 , im not fitting through a 12 inch X 16 inch hole. so its just to have access anytime i need to get up there .
Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #4

You want to open the area on the left side. Leave the 2x4 under the joined 2x8's alone. I'd double up the both sides with 2x4's and eliminate the 2x4 where the wire is.
Ron
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the info again. so the 1 x 10 horizontal slates that are just covering up the access should be just as simple to cut and remove right? that was just the beginning of the old part of the house and they just never opened it up , so doesnt seem like it giving any support to anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

The horizontal slats were part of the exterior sheathing of the oroiginal house. They can be cut out to expand the opening once the 2x4's are installed.
Ron
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #7

The horizontal boards don't look structural. They look like they were part of the exterior on the old construction. I think you can safely remove them from what I can see in the pictures.

You could then cut out a 2x4, leaving some on top and frame in a doorway with a header to support the dangling 2x4 stub you left behind. Then your opening should be at least 20 inches wide.
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #8

just wanted to thank everyone for your help!