Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to insulating a heated detached cement block garage

Hi all,
We live in western Pa. We have a 24' x 35' x 12' to 14' high cement block detached garage. There is a new rubber roof on the garage. The celin has 8" bats of fiberglass insulation. We want to insulate the walls but we are not sure how to do the job right. A friend said we don't need a vapor barrier since the outside walls are now exposed to the elements & he also said we should use foam board insulation. We removed the soil that was against nearly all of two sides of the garge on a previous landscaping job. I think a vapor barrier is neccessary between the block & insulation reguardless of the material used to insulate the walls. But that the opinion of a guy who knows very little about insulating a heated block garage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
In peace,
Joe

Joe Nulph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #2

Best way to insulating a heated detached cement block garage

Hi there Joe,

I also live in Western PA! Anyway, it all depends on what you are going to do with the inside of the garage. Are you putting interior walls inside? Are you simply leaving it open? Cost willing, I myself would frame all interior outside walls with 2X6 lumber and insulate with fiberglass insulation which would ultimately give you your best R value rating. If you do not want to go the route of framing walls, your friend was correct in suggesting the foam board insulation....I however would glue & tapcon some firing strips or 2X2 for framing in between the foam board in case you ever want to hang drywall......Your R value will NOT be as good essentially though. As for a vapor barrior...there is much contrevorsy on this issue. I myself feel that if your walls are free of any type of leakage, they should be allowed to breathe....and the vapor barrior is overkill anyway. I would parge the outside walls and paint them before I put a vapor barrior on the inside. I think its a matter of opinion and either way should work fine for you. GOOD LUCK!

fisher501 is offline   Reply With Quote