Best Way To Insulate A Shed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Best way to insulate a shed?

I have a shed in my back yard, roughly 12' X 14'. I would like to have it insulated for winter. I have never done anything like this before and need to know exactly what I need to buy and do to complete this project as soon as possible.
Thanks to all who reply!

Advertisement

Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

A little more detail please. Where are you located? What is the construction? 2x4 stud walls? Are the walls covered or open? Similar questions for the roof and ceiling? Pictures are always a good thing.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Knowing why you want to insulate it might help too.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am insulating it because I take in stray/unwanted cats, spay/neuter them and then rehome them. I am planning on housing them in the shed throughout the winter.
I honestly do not know what type of construction it is. I can try to explain it and I'll get photos tomorrow when it is light out. I believe there are 2 X 4's, the outside walls are nailed onto the 2 X 4's. They look to be think boards (1/2 X 6 if that makes sense?) and they are laid horizontal and slightly overlapped to prevent rain from getting in.
I have no idea about the roof.
I am 24 and bought this house just over a year ago and have not done any work like this before.
I am located in Manitoba, Canada. The winters get to -50*C for a couple days each year, so it has to be able to keep heat in. I need it to stay above +5*C, +10*C if possible. I do have a heater for in there, though last winter it didn't even keep it above freezing (with no insulation), though it didn't go below about -10*C.

Thanks for any info that you can give me, I'll try to have pics up tomorrow.

-Karina
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

The cheapest solution might be to tear down whatever the inside walls are and put up fiberglass, and then cover it with FRPs (fiberglass reinforced pannels) or something. fiberglass batts are pretty cheap.

Get a quote from someone on blowing insulation into the wall cavities too. They drill holes through from the outside and blow it in through hoses, and then put plugs into the holes. It's not a really good way to insulate, but it might be good enough.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulate , shed