Best Way To Grade For Drainage Around House? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Best way to grade for drainage around house?

Ok, so I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding installing a drain along one side of my house in order to take care of a moisture problem in our unfinished basement.

The issue is that after a hard rain we have some moisture coming through the concrete blocks (wall is below grade). The moisture is all coming in pretty much in the middle of the wall.

On the outside there really is no grade sloping away from the house. It is pretty much flat for about 20 feet, then a paved drive, then a retaining wall and steep slope beyond that.

Rather than trenching down 10 ft to install a drain at the base of the foundation block wall (which would be$$; plus the house was built in 2002, so i would guess there would be a foundation drain already??), i figured that I should at least try to grade the yard first to see if that will solve the problem. What is the best way to do this?

The soil at along the house is very sandy (water will just pour through it; which i'm sure is contributing to the problem). Could I just place some clayey soil on top and slope away from the house? Or should I dig down at all first? Any tips would be appreciated!! I will post some pics when I get home this evening.
Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-01-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added spaces
Bahuffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What you do will depend on your situation. If the siding is currently 6" off the ground, you can't build it up 6". Why not post some photos of the area in question, so we can get a sense of the conditions you're working with.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

Are you kidding?? You have sandy soil at the house and you don't know what to do???
Start with at least a 5% slope off the house for at least 5' , create a swale for drainage this would be a start
Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Come on now...I realize that the sandy soil is contributing to the issue. One of my questions was..should i remove any of this soil or simply add more on top (creating a grade). Attached are some pics.
Again the moisture that I am seeing inside is concetrated in the center of the wall. No moisture appears to be coming through near the bottom or the top few feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to grade for drainage around house?-2011-07-31_15-29-18_476.jpg   Best way to grade for drainage around house?-2011-07-31_15-29-48_818.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Here are a few inside pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to grade for drainage around house?-2011-07-31_16-05-19_986.jpg   Best way to grade for drainage around house?-2011-07-31_16-05-31_719.jpg   Best way to grade for drainage around house?-2011-07-31_16-05-45_484.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

The sandy soil will help with drainage not hinder it. Any water that gets next to the house, will drain down through that soil.
The damp spot in the center of the wall is odd. The blocks are hollow, any exterior dampness should just work it's way down to the floor.
Regrading will be a challange because you don't have a lot of space between the ground and the siding. The drivway surface seems to be higher then the siding line.
How much water comes off that hill and around that truck cap?
Is the ground along that wall saturated with water? Is there flowing water in the area?
The picture shows a tub drain, but I don't see a bath window outside. Is this the same side of the house that's in the picture?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

Yeah, I really have no idea why the wall is only moist in the middle?? Yes, this wall is on the same side as the outside pictures. There is about 6 inches from the ground to the bottom of the siding. Also, the ground along the wall is typically only wet after a rain. There is alot of water that comes of the hill, but it runs down the pavement and past the truck cap (never really gets in yard by wall). In the three months we have lived here, I have only noticed the moisture coming through after really intense rains.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Trench down and see if your builder water proofed the wall, Probably not, or did a poor job.

Andy.

Advertisement

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote