Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

best way to form the slope in a patio

I need to crown my patio so about 1/3rd of the length slopes differently tha the rest.

This is to accommodate the side that joins my driveway, which slopes toward the street whereas the patio would normally slope toward the yard.

How does one build the form that is relatively level and then needs to start sloping downward?

28x17'. The 17' runs house-to-yard. The 28' runs driveway to yard, from the the left.

I have it graded to slope from house to yard, but the driveway goes the opposite, slightly.

I didn't want it all draining left to the driveway (long patio) so i thought i'd have it be left-to-right nearly level (sloping house to yard) then break downward to the driveway to match its slope.

thoughts on how to keep the tops of the forms from having gaps?

new to this.

Dornier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,014

Simple hire a pro concrete finisher, Let him know what you want.
It's a one shot deal. Your just not going to have the tools or know how to get this done. Once that truck shows up it's show time. There is no going back and fixing it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

One of those dreaded compound drainage concrete pours.
Just form with the elevations as they need to be, and stake up 2x's out in the middle at the heights you need to skread to that you will pull after you skread and before you jitterbug it.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

Jitterbug?

It looks like two sections to be poured almost at the halfway point of 12 to 13' of the 28' length. Trying to keep the joint away from the middle of the back door. The slope down to the driveway is exaggerated too. I suppose I could just have it all slope toward the driveway and not worry about. I was just looking to have it not slope sideway too much when you step out of the door.

Dornier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like a potential problem area on the "right" section. You DO NOT want to slope back toward your house if there is even the slightest chance of it receiving water.

Jitterbug: http://youtu.be/IOH7Etaj72s

Last edited by Willie T; 01-20-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

I agree with Willie that the right side can be a problem, especially if the grade around the house isn't sufficient to shedding the water fast.

If you're pouring it all at one time, the joint doesn't necessarily need to be at the pitch change, and the pitch can also run on a diagnol if it help's soften teh transition. I will tell you that if you decide to pour it all togehter, you need to very careful you don't flatten the transition area with the bull float/etc... as that area can easily hold water.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote