Best Way To Fix Sunk Driveway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best way to fix Sunk Driveway

Hi all,

My driveway has been sinking towards the house which is causing runoff in the spring to flow towards the house.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to best fix this without having to completely re-pave the driveway. Also, should I seal the gap between the house foundation and where the driveway ends so that if water does make its way there it is not permitted to seep underground? I have some tar-like weather stripping I can stuff in there, or should I simply use driveway caulking?

This is also related to my other thread in regards to the crack in my foundation, which was most likely caused by this problem. Help on removing concrete stairwell going into Basement.

I will be installing some drainage at the beginning of the driveway to that the water flows down into the street, but I still need to repair the damage that is already done.

Please help. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by earthad1; 03-18-2009 at 09:43 AM.
earthad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Judging from the last picture, the driveway looks too high in the center, rather than sunken along the edge. however, if you empty enough of those little brown bottles and everthing will look fine!!!

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Judging from the last picture, the driveway looks too high in the center, rather than sunken along the edge. however, if you empty enough of those little brown bottles and everthing will look fine!!!

This is true ... which is probably why I had not noticed...

Do you think it's possible to use those patch kits to raise the edge to the same height as the center and grade it away towards the front of the the house, going towards the downspout ???
Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Looks like you are suffering a similar quandy as me. It appears the center of your driveway has frost-heaved, raising it above the level of the asphalt near the house and thus reversing the pitch. I have a similar problem with a heave in front of my garage that causes water to flow in. Frost heaves (huge around WI after this last winter) should go back down somewhat when the weather warms, but probably not back to their previous position. Parking lots and streets around here have some monsters.

Here's is what I have been doing to resolve the problem. Note that I am not a pro or contractor, just an average joe.

I tapcon'ed a few 2x4x10's to the driveway in front of the garage and sealed them to the pavement with roofing tar. This forms a temporary dam to prevent water from flowing in the garage (did this in Jan)

I rented a breaker and removed a trench in front of the garage about 20" wide

I have better available terrain drop along the garage door (into the backyard) than from the garage out (normal to the door). Therefore I have built forms and plan to pour concrete that will direct the flow to the backyard

The concrete "apron" will be separated from the garage slab via an expansion joint (asphalt impregranted fiberous stuff)

The concrete, after pouring, will be separated from the existing and eventrully to-be-replaced asphalt drive by running a concrete saw along the interface after pouring. This cut can then be sealed with appropriate compound.

Now this is a low cost solution that prevents the need for a new driveway this year. I'll let you know how it works. Feedback is welcome.
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Hi Rizzo,

It is very likely this is caused by frost heaving. I know this bump was not that bad in the fall/beginning of winter. We've had a horrible winter in regards to very rapid temperature changes (-2 in the day, dropping to -25/-30 in the evening, cold snap for a few days, then back to +1 Celsius) I live in New-Brunswick, Canada. I have never seen the amount and size of potholes we have in the roads this year. Its brutal!!!!!

The driveway is slowly getting worse every year... I read your post and I kinda get what you did, but not 100% to be honest but I think I got the jist of it

Thanks for the suggestion...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Canada. Very cold.

I will post some pictures as the work progresses. It will be instructional either as what to do, or what not to do, depending on how it turns out.

I will need to wait until all has settled in the warmer spring weather before pouring the concrete. That will give me time to empty a few bottles of my own for inclusion in the photos

take care
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
Canada. Very cold.

I will post some pictures as the work progresses. It will be instructional either as what to do, or what not to do, depending on how it turns out.

I will need to wait until all has settled in the warmer spring weather before pouring the concrete. That will give me time to empty a few bottles of my own for inclusion in the photos

take care
Looking forward in seeing how it works out... Same here with the climate.. all the products state to use above 5 degrees Celsius when there is no risk of freezing temperatures, which won't be a reality here for at least another 2 weeks to a month I'd say...

Advertisement