Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Best way to cut hole in brick?

I want to add a receptacle in front of my garage, I'm just wondering what is the best way to cut a square hole in the brick? I most likely just need to cut a brick in half and cut the mortar around it to make the hole. Would a masonry drill bit work for this?
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

Score the opening size around the brick with a chisel, drill holes with hammer drill/masonary bit around your marks, chip out with chisel. The best way is with a large diamond core bit, but very expensive. You may be able to rent one. You will still have to do the fine tuning with a chisel.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I use a hammer drill with a 1/4" drill bit. Mark the box on the brick with a marker and then drill a series of holes along your marks. Then connect the holes buy drilling up from one to the other all the way around, finish up with a chisel, I then glue the box in place with Pl premium adhesive.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I use a hammer drill with a 1/4" drill bit. Mark the box on the brick with a marker and then drill a series of holes along your marks. Then connect the holes buy drilling up from one to the other all the way around, finish up with a chisel, I then glue the box in place with Pl premium adhesive.
Sounds good, think that's what I'll do. will cement + liquid adhesive work as well to fill around it? I was thinking of using that as I have some already.

Also is there anything wrong with doing this in freezing temperatures? not sure yet if I will in fact do it this year though. For now I might just run an extension cord under the garage door.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I like the Pl Premium It will hold the box more securely when you go to tighten down on the outlet. and cover, where the other will have more give and a possible leek. And it will all depend on the curing temp. of the item you use.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I want to add a receptacle in front of my garage, I'm just wondering what is the best way to cut a square hole in the brick? I most likely just need to cut a brick in half and cut the mortar around it to make the hole. Would a masonry drill bit work for this?
I would rent a hammer dill from home depot I think you can rent the bit too. The hammer drill will work better then a regular drill and masonry bit. Also try drilling through the mortar joint if possible.
Deckman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

I have a hammer drill already (has a setting for regular or hammer) and turns out I have masonry bits already, did not realize what they were till I posted a thread about the mysterious red tip on them. So I'm all set for this job, just need to find a good time. Think it will wait till next year, it's quite cold to be working outside now.