Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

best way to add railing to tiled patio?

hi all! i have 700 square foot concrete patio that has 12X24 through bodied tile laid on top of it. i want to add some wooden railing around the entire thing with a pergola covering half of it. im pretty comfortable with wood work, but not real sure the best way to attach the railing to the patio as well as to the house? do i need to attach to the house or just the patio? the house is brick if that makes a difference? any help and guidance is appreciated! let me know if you need anymore information about the setup!

yamaha83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

i asked the people at lows and they told me the best way would be to use these green metal thing that hold the railing and then have a flange the can be screwed into the concrete with some anchors? whats the best way to drill through the tile and concrte without cracking the tile?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

is something like this going to be my best option? will i just have to cut some wood trim to hide the ugly bolts and stuff??

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHYQ8wIwAA

what would be the best way to drill into the tile and concrete so that i dont crack the tile? will tightening the metal to the tile have any bad effect on the tile?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

start w/glass bit then switch to diamond bit running in wtr bath,,, personally i wouldn't want to look at the brackets & would hide them w/molding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzwpB...1&feature=fvwp

once you get thru the tile, you may have to change the bit to a masonary carbide bit,,, i wouldn't use a hammer drill,,, too much pressure could crack tile so use lead-shield drop-ins to place the tension on the conc, NOT the tile
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote