Best Type Of Weatherstripping Around Attic Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

best type of weatherstripping around attic door

I have an attic door that lets air in around it. I am not looking to install weatherstripping on edges, as it only 1/8" or so gap, but rather looking for the best type to install on along inside of frame where door closes against (door opens in to house). I installed some foam from home depot but it doesn't seem to seal air flow very good.

This is not a pull down door but is built into the wall.

Advertisement

Last edited by ugabulldog; 12-12-2010 at 06:14 PM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless you build an insulated box over the staircase, the heat loss will be substantial.
For the weatherstripping, try a compression type.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

If this is a access hatch with the stairs attached, they make foam boxes that go over the top to help seal the airflow. If a regular door like a bedroom door, it should be a solid core door, and you can actually use on the attic side, the same weather stripping that is used around doors. I used a better quality type weather stripping on my front door, than the cheap bubble rubber gasket type. Seals very good from the weather.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If this is a access hatch with the stairs attached, they make foam boxes that go over the top to help seal the airflow. If a regular door like a bedroom door, it should be a solid core door, and you can actually use on the attic side, the same weather stripping that is used around doors. I used a better quality type weather stripping on my front door, than the cheap bubble rubber gasket type. Seals very good from the weather.
could you link to picture please?
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

On the foam box, or the weatherstripping I used around my front door? You can purchase it at Ace Hardware, or any home center, which actually has a fabric around a open cell foam core. Same type used around exterior doors, that is installed by the factory.. I just wanted a better product, than the cheaper weather stripping around the door. as for the foam box to go over the hatch, home centers carry them in the insulation aisle, also you can make your own out of Pink or Blue Foam.

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote