Best Solution To Combine Polyurethane And Fiberglass Batt - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best solution to combine polyurethane and fiberglass batt

I am currently building a house and would like to have 1" of poly sprayed around the perimeter of the house. To save costs and not have poly sprayed the rest of the way on a 2x6 wall, what is the best fiberglass batt to use? Will I loose insulation value if I go to an R-19 and compress the batt into the wall? This would give a R-26 in the wall. Or do I try for 2" of poly and drop down to an r-13 which would give me a R-27. The overall R factors are virtually the same however trying to save cost and get the best insulation combination. Thanks.

Advertisement

muley-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

My research says Tiger Foam (one inch layer) and fill the remaining space with unbacked fiberglass. I'm going to do a house soon and will do one inch tiger (because it's closed cell and is r7/inch) and r19. This applies to a 2X6 wall anyway.
Good luck!

Advertisement

patrikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd advocate spraying the entire inside of the exterior walls. If they're there spraying them already, I can't imagine that the cost would be significantly increased. Spray foam yields unusually tight wall construction, and leaving a void in the wall for batt insulation doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote