Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

The Best Post Anchor For Concreate Application

I going to install a railing on my front porch,
But my porch is made of cement, I'm not sure which post anchor would be best. I want a secure sturdy railing, so my question is which post anchor is the best. My railing is PVC material, & its 36''H by 55''L

Bigd3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd3129 View Post
I going to install a railing on my front porch,
But my porch is made of cement, I'm not sure which post anchor would be best. I want a secure sturdy railing, so my question is which post anchor is the best. My railing is PVC material, & its 36''H by 55''L
You need to provide some details.
Is the PVC post hollow and slid over a pressure treated post? Does the PVC parts manufacturer provide instructions for their product? Is this PVC railing just 55" long? Will it only be base connected? If so, that's not a lot of support. What's the drop off the porch?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You need to provide some details.
Is the PVC post hollow and slid over a pressure treated post? Does the PVC parts manufacturer provide instructions for their product? Is this PVC railing just 55" long? Will it only be base connected? If so, that's not a lot of support. What's the drop off the porch?
Ron
Yes I'm going to use pvc hollow post & slide a presure treated 4 by 4 over it, I dont have any maufaucters instructions & my railing is just 55" long and only planned to base connect it, what should i do for additional support
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

when I made a railing on top of an old concrete porch (after sawzalling the old metal railing out), I cut the posts (4x4 pressure trated for me), screwed a chunck of 2x6 to the bottoms from underneith, then used concrete screws to hold the 2x6 bases down. I toped off with a 2x6 horizontal and a 2x4 for the mid rail. I used a 2x4 screwed into the brick wall as a post were I wanted it to conect to the wall, and I brought the end post were the stairs were all the way down to ground level and tied the stairs into it at the other end.

it was solid, and looked pretty good too.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd3129 View Post
Yes I'm going to use pvc hollow post & slide a presure treated 4 by 4 over it, I dont have any maufaucters instructions & my railing is just 55" long and only planned to base connect it, what should i do for additional support
That depends on how close any walls are to the posts. Anyone leaning on the base only approach will cause undo pressure on the base support and it will fail.
How high is the porch off the ground?
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

would 2 base support anchors and 2 side anchors to my brick wall be a soild railing is that enough support