Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best New Vinyl Windows?

I'm looking to replace vinyl windows in my home. I may just have a contractor do it. Meanwhile, I'm looking at dozens of brands and can't make heads or tails of them. One guy says United Windows is the best product, but there's little info about them. Another says Silverline and SuperSeal, which I've read mixed reviews about. Simonton from Home Depot seems decent, but the big box stores want more than $600 per window, significantly more than the others, which are coming in around $340 to $450 per window. Any thoughts? Any positive experiences with United Windows & Doors? Many thanks.

Cheers,
Rob

rlbeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best New Vinyl Windows?

I have installed Milgard windows throughout our home - both replacement and new construction. Moderatly priced and of good quality. We are very pleased with them.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best New Vinyl Windows?

Many vinyl window companies are only regional. It might help to let us know where you live.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Best New Vinyl Windows?

I live just outside of New York City. Apparently United Windows is a NJ company.
rlbeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
DIY til I die!

Rewards Points: 25

Best New Vinyl Windows?

Installed Simonton's recently. The price was reasonable and the quality is decent. You get what you pay for. We could have stepped up and paid much more for better windows, but needed roof, slider door, etc.
Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Best New Vinyl Windows?

You do have some window world locations in your area. I would at least give them a call and hear what they have to say. If nothing else, they will explain a bit about windows and what to look for/compare while you are shopping. I have no idea what prices are like in that part of the country, but down here they were almost impossible to beat the price or warranty.