Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Best Moisture/Vapor barrier for basement

Hi...newbie back for second post.

I'm starting a basement finishing job real soon at my new condo. Major moisture problems are not expected...very sandy soil and condo was built as a walkout basement on a flat lot...2x4 frame wall on the walkout end and sandy fill was pushed up to to foundation with very good slope away from the condo. Basically, real good drainage.

Still, I understand I need to have some kind of vapor barrier. I'll be doing a 2x4 stud wall around the perimeter of the basement with a small gap between the studs and the concrete.

Mostly what I've read about for vapor barrier is plastic sheeting glued to the basement walls (with some boards nailed to the edges to help secure it). Maybe that's a good way, but is there something better.

I read somewhere about coating the walls and floor with UGL, the latex basement sealer stuff. Also read that it takes a LOT of the stuff and it's a pain in the rear to apply.

Any idea what's best?

Last edited by Siamese; 03-14-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
worm can opener

I recently took a attended a green building seminar where they informed me that to seal a basement/crawl you should seal a reinforced poly to the wall with mastic. They told me drylock was a waste of money. If you are dealing with a slab and are going to cover it I would run the poly over it as well. best of luck

Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #3

Do a search on these two separate articles.

"Understanding vapor barriers" and "Basement insulation systems".

Pay particular attention to the area of the map where you are located. The articles address moisture problems from both sides of a wall. The articles were written by Joseph Lstiburek and Nathan Yost.

Last edited by rjordan392; 03-14-2008 at 04:22 AM.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I'm starting a basement finishing job real soon at my new condo. Major moisture problems are now expected...
Why do you state this? Are you experiencing moisture issues now? Have you had them in the past? Is there another reason that you "expect" major moisture issues?

Quote:
....very sandy soil and condo was built as a walkout basement on a flat lot...2x4 frame wall on the walkout end and sandy fill was pushed up to to foundation with very good slope away from the condo. Basically, real good drainage.
I don't understand. You stated earlier that you expect major moisture issues. Now you are stating that there is very good drainage around the foundation? Again, I don't understand...
Quote:
Still, I understand I need to have some kind of vapor barrier. I'll be doing a 2x4 stud wall around the perimeter of the basement with a small gap between the studs and the concrete.
Sounds like a good plan. Make sure that you use pressure treated floor (sole) plates.

Quote:
Mostly what I've read about for vapor barrier is plastic sheeting glued to the basement walls (with some boards nailed to the edges to help secure it). Maybe that's a good way, but is there something better.
How old is your condo? If it is a later model condo, it was treated with a moisture-proofing compound on the exterior of the foundation already (Grade level, all the way to the edge of the footing. It's required by code)
Again, this goes back to the earlier question: Are you experiencing unusual moisture, or signs of moisture?

Quote:
I read somewhere about coating the walls and floor with UGL, the latex basement sealer stuff. Also read that it takes a LOT of the stuff and it's a pain in the rear to apply...Any idea what's best?
That all depends on the kind of moisture that you want to protect againt.

1.) Dampness
2.) Moisture
3.) Actual water-seepage issues (hydrostatic pressure)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #5

I just now edited my original post. I had said "moisture problems are NOW expected", but meant to say "are NOT expected". Oops.

Anyway, it's a new condo, in Michigan. Other condos in this development have finished basements with no problems. Just want to be sure I properly address the issue of water vapor. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote