Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Best Insulation for Home Remodel????

Hi,

I am completely renovating my house and am nearing the time to insulate the walls. I have a brick/terracota like exterior wall on the first floor of my 1930 home and furring strips over that for drywall. I only have about 2" for insulation. The second floor is all wood framed with 2 x 6's so theres more space, plus its wood.

WHAT IS THE BEST INSULATION FOR THE FIRST FLOOR WITH ONLY 2" of SPACE? WHAT IS THE BEST INSULATION FOR THE SECOND FLOOR FRAMED WITH 2 x 6's? And does the insulation type you recommend need a vapor barrier added on top? Which insulation type is the easiest to install yourself? I was recommended to use rigid foamboard by one person and fiberglass or equivalent by another person.

Finally, I want to insulate between the floors in the ceilings to muffle out noise. WHAT IS THE BEST INSULATION FOR NOISE?

Thanks!
psubaron is offline   Reply With Quote