Best (easiest) Way To Drill Into Poured Concrete Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Unhappy

Best (easiest) way to drill into poured concrete wall

I am trying to drill a pilot hole for a masonry screw into my basement concrete wall.

I purchased a 3/16" masonry drill (with carbide tip) and after some serious effort, was able to drill the first of four holes approximately 2 1/4" deep.

Got the other three started... but then they sort of quit making progress....

First hole, I used a DeWalt 14 XRP cordeless drill motor.... then, because the subsequent holes were wearing me out... I switched to a corded drill motor...much faster rpm, but still making little to no progress in deepening the holes.

Suggestions??

Thanks.

Advertisement

Todd-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

a hammer drill

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Hammer drill and maybe a little water to cool the bit down.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum-
OK, so that was a movie.

Here's the story:
I tried for several years to convince my boss we needed a hammer drill in the shop. I do parks maintenance. We have a mechanic but I am involved in the parks aspect, i.e. playgrounds, etc. For example, one day I was installing a park bench onto a sidewalk. I needed four holes for lag bolts. Burned up a "good" bit per hole, even with watering to keep cool. Same story many times on different projects. A few weeks later the boss stops by HD one Friday and gets a Bosch hammer drill. Takes it home to drill some holes in the concrete wall in his basement to put up some studs. Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah. He comes in Monday morning grinning like a cat with a bird. "Now I know why you wanted a hammer drill!" Thirty seconds of him using it convinced him better than my two years of nagging.

'Nuff said.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

You probably hit a rock dead center. Hard to drill through those.

As others have said the only way to fly is a hammer drill. It will get through that in no time at all.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
'Nuff said.
maybe after a couple "idiot"s under my breath along with a slap upside his head.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Ditto on the hammer drill!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum-
OK, so that was a movie.

Here's the story:
I tried for several years to convince my boss we needed a hammer drill in the shop. I do parks maintenance. We have a mechanic but I am involved in the parks aspect, i.e. playgrounds, etc. For example, one day I was installing a park bench onto a sidewalk. I needed four holes for lag bolts. Burned up a "good" bit per hole, even with watering to keep cool. Same story many times on different projects. A few weeks later the boss stops by HD one Friday and gets a Bosch hammer drill. Takes it home to drill some holes in the concrete wall in his basement to put up some studs. Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah. He comes in Monday morning grinning like a cat with a bird. "Now I know why you wanted a hammer drill!" Thirty seconds of him using it convinced him better than my two years of nagging.

'Nuff said.
Sometimes it is hard to learn unless you actually use the equipment.

I keep nagging my brother in law to get a cordless hammer drill for those little jobs like putting a few screws in the cement to secure water lines. He said they were worthless and kept getting the Bosch, extension cord, and hunting for an outlet. I brought my cordless hammer drill to work one day and we had to drill a few holes. He went to get the Bosch. I pulled out my cordless and drilled the holes and had the screws in before he got back.

Being the guy that I am I let him set it all up before he saw that the water lines were all secured.

He bought a cordless hammer drill the next day.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks Guys!! Man - - wish I would have known this earlier!!!

I rented a hammer-drill from Home Depot and it drilled right through the concrete easier than a wood drill going through wood!!

I could have saved my back and hernia a heck-of-a-lota strain if I'd have visited here first.

Thanks again everyone! Have a great Thanksgiving.
Todd-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Don't know it all, yet!

"Sometimes it is hard to learn unless you actually use the equipment."

Twenty years supervisor with college degree ought to know. But, I know what you mean.

MG,
I am hoping a good deal will come out during the shopping season on a cordless hammer drill. My use would be similar to the one you described. In other words, a few holes at a time, not an all day project. Which is why I have corded and cordless tools in most other categories. About how many holes can you get on a battery with hammer mode compared to similar sized holes normal drilling? I know thats a little stretch, but since you have one already, just thought I'd ask.

Now, if I can convince you know who to get the DeWalt hammer drill/ impact driver combo for twenty ? dollars more than the regular (18v) drill that needs replacing..... Promo deal at HD.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
"Sometimes it is hard to learn unless you actually use the equipment."

Twenty years supervisor with college degree ought to know. But, I know what you mean.

MG,
I am hoping a good deal will come out during the shopping season on a cordless hammer drill. My use would be similar to the one you described. In other words, a few holes at a time, not an all day project. Which is why I have corded and cordless tools in most other categories. About how many holes can you get on a battery with hammer mode compared to similar sized holes normal drilling? I know thats a little stretch, but since you have one already, just thought I'd ask.

Now, if I can convince you know who to get the DeWalt hammer drill/ impact driver combo for twenty ? dollars more than the regular (18v) drill that needs replacing..... Promo deal at HD.
I get about half the time per charge drilling concrete. Mostly because it just takes longer especially if you hit a rock. I don't use it for anything big like 1/2" and 6 inch holes. Just small holes for doing Tapcons that are up to 2" or so.

My neighbor needed his shed secured to the concrete. It's not a big shed just for his lawnmower and a few tools. I got about 10 3 1/2" Tapcons in about 30 minutes on one charge. The holes were only 2" as the rest was in the sill plate.

Just made a call to HD and they will be putting the DeWalt cordless hammer drill on sale just for you for $50 and there is a $100 rebate....
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

In the days of yore, when hammer drills were a very expensive proposition, I had to do with my 3/8" Black and Decker.
I found that carballoy drill bits cut better if they are sharpened before being used for the first time.

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote