Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Best base for concrete slab in CA?

I am pouring a walkway on the side of my house and some random pavers, I was initially going to be doing all of this utilizing some of the rock that is already on the ground, but today I had a bit of a discovery.

I poured some of the leftovers I had from a paver on a board in a small form and noticed that the concrete finished really well with little effort. I was wondering if this was due to the solid base of the board as compared to the larger rock that is on the ground. The stones on the ground are anywhere from 3/4-1.5 inches, and I am tamping them in the forms I'm using. Could these large stones be allowing too much of the slurry to bleed out of the bottom? Should I switch to sand or a smaller gravel? Freezing isn't an issue. Thanks guys.

SMRcalidiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Around here, with frsot an issue, we use 6-12" of compacted crusher run, then 3-4" of sand, leveled to drain water, then the pavers. Compact(vibrator) everything when done.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

CA is a big state with a lot of different climates, where in California? In southern CA. mostly poured on compacted soil in most areas, some areas like San Juan Capistrano east of the 5 was 6" base, west of the 5 in Dana Point was on grade it all depends on the soil and conditions.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I live in between San Francisco, and Sacramento...in Northern CA. We never get snow and may...may...see one day below 32 a year...and by that I mean 31. We have a clay/soil mix that drains fairly well.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Sounds like your conditions are very similar to what we have here in the OC.

Usually no base is prescribed or required for flat work like this. Just form and pour right on the earth.

I would at least compact the soil first though. You can rent a vibratory compactor for a day or if you feel very active buy a 8" hand compactor from a big box store.

They are a flat heavy steel pad at the end of a approx. 48" handle and you pick it up let it fall or give it a bit of a thump.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #6

Thanks, I have a 10x10 tamper already, I have been using it to compact the rocks that I was using, so I will just use it to compact the soil. I just went and priced some AB and fill sand but sounds like I won't even need that. You guys rock!...pun intended