DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

beef up swingset beam?

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  D270 
#1 ·
Hi,
If I had a swingset beam that was a 4x6 at a 12 ft. span..with the swing hardware through this beam and then sistered two 2x8's on either side (forming a "U" ) would this help the beam from bending when several kids are swinging at the same time?

I would connect them with several lag bolts, amd maybe some SS screws.

If I sistered just one 2x8 would that help the same amount since the twist wouldnt be as much as an issue as the vertical dimension.
in other words....is a 2x8 stronger for a beam than a 4x6 for a span?

Of course the swinging creates a twist so that is why I see 4x6s mostly.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
father-in-law and i built a playset for the kids last year. i believe our swing span was only 10' but we used two 2x8, through-bolted. both kids can be on it at once, no problem. even the wife and i can be on there at the same time. flexes a little then but nothing major.

what are you doing for swing hardware? avoid the cheap 'eye hook' swing hangers and go with more of a commercial-grade connection. so much better. below is from menards but you can get similar at most big-box stores.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...cial-grade-swing-hangers/p-1629278-c-9593.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.