Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

Bearing Wall Header?

I have (3) windows on a roof bearing wall, all (3) are 24"wide windows are right next to each other. Between each window is a 2x4. What I cant figure out if the single 2x4s between the windows are just to separate the windows or if they are to actually help support the roof. Any ideas on how to figure out what size header is installed and if it can support a total opening 72" wide?

The reason I ask if I have a great mountain view but its ruined by (3) 24" vertical sliding windows right next to each other. Its like looking though a grid pattern at a great view! I want just one big picture window

I wanted to provide a picture, but I have none at work, this is the google street view to give you an idea.

note- this would not eliminate all opening windows in our living room, there is one more 24" wide windows on the left wall not which can not be seen in this picture.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Bearing Wall Header?

It is quite possible that it is one continuous header. I cannot see the picture but if the windows are only a few inches apart I would bet that the header is continuous.

As far as I know, the easiest way to tell will be to investigate under the drywall. If you are going to replace the window anyway, a little drywall repair is no big deal.

Good luck.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bearing Wall Header?

You would need to open it up to see what they installed for a header
I've seen people install 2x4's as a header
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,106

Bearing Wall Header?

Even if the header is continuous across all 3 there is still a chance it was sized requiring the internediate studs. But there's no reason you can't put the right header in there (if it's not already right) and have the big view. Your just going to have to find out what's there and what header is needed.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 262

Bearing Wall Header?

it needs a double 2x8 or a tripple 2x6.. guess I really do have to tear into it to find out what is is.. I am replacing the siding this summer maybe I can figure out whats there from the outside? the wife will kill me if I tear into our freshly painted interior walls..

funny thing is I work as a detailer for a structural engineer, but I work with homes that are being built not already built..
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bearing Wall Header?

http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Bearing Wall Header?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Even if the header is continuous across all 3 there is still a chance it was sized requiring the internediate studs.
Very good point.

Part of the fun of remodeling is having the wife chirp in your ear about things. I just spent the last 5 months diong just that.....thankfully it is over!!
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Bearing Wall Header?

From your photo, I don't think you even needed a header for each 24" wide window. If there is one in there now, it should be a double 2x10 if it will fit, or a microlam (8" would work). Do you live in an area that gets a lot of snow?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,106

Bearing Wall Header?

With a really good stud finder you might be able to get an idea (but not a guarantee) of what's there without damaging your paint.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote