Bearing Wall?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Bearing wall??

I am planning on taking out an L shaped wall to expand a kitchen area. I am almost certain it bears no weight but want to make sure. The longer section is about 8 ft long and runs parallel to the rafters, perpendicular to the floor joists. The smaller section is maybe 5 ft long and does the opositte. In addition there is already a cutout in the corner. Leavinf about 4 ft and 2 ft respectivly of full wall.

Its a one story house and in the basement there are 2 beams supported by steel jacks and neither of them is directly below the wall running perpedicular to the rafters? Just looking for confirmation on this one.

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bearing wall??

Your best bet is to first get into the attic and see if the ceiling joists splice over the wall, or if there are any roof support struts landing on the wall.

Just because there's no steel beam under it, you can't be certain that it isn't bearing. However, bearing walls will usually be very close to beams underneath.

Pretty hard to tell for sure without seeing plans or the house itself.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,074

Bearing wall??

Could you post a picture of the attic above both walls? The shorter one is carrying the ceiling joists, though not getting bearing from the floor. I'm looking for rafter purlins (supports) carrying the roof structure or a broken ceiling joist.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Bearing wall??

the attic is all of about 30 inches high (not much slope to the roof) and the wall is opposite end of the house from the attic access. So seeeing a spliced or broken joist is gonna be tough. No purlins over the wall. So it could still be bearing weight even though its only got 2 foot long of solid wall?? I'll try to get in there and see about the joist if I can. Thanks
organick is offline   Reply With Quote