DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Beam Support / Column Questions

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bnentrup 
#1 ·
First, I know it is a simple call away for me to ask the inspector what he prefers. However, I am finding that most of my solutions thus far in my construction projects have been acceptable to the inspector without further input from him. Therefore, I want to know the 'best' methods for the below questions if ya'll might have any input.

1.) BEAM CONNECTION TO STEEL COLUMNS. Know that I am using a 2-ply LVL For my beam that fits nicely on top of the steel column flange. The column flange has 4-holes for screws and I would not be asking this if my beam was solid lumber, however-- is there ANY penalty is using Lag Bolts to connect the steel column flange to the LVL beam?

2.) Steel column and the concrete pad: Know that I have not poured a concrete pad yet, and just poured sufficient column footers for them to rest on until I pour my garage floor. Is there ANY issue with me pouring over the base of the steel column? It is NOT a lally column... it is just an adjustable height steel column. This would permanently embed the steel into the foundation for ever. The only issue i could forsee is 50-years down the road someone having to replace the columns due to rust etc and having to jackhammer them out.

Those are my main questions for now..
Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with previous post. One issue you need to address. You state you have an adjustable height column. I take it this is for permanent support. You need to verify with the manufacturer that the specific column you are using is rated for permanent support, a lot of adjustable columns are rated for temporary support only.

#4 ·
Regarding the lag bolts, this needs some clarification. A lag bolt is arguably a misnomer. It's a lag screw. A screw has threads which "dig into" the wood and help prevent it from pulling it. A bolt is a fastener whose threads do not dig into the material but rather are mated with a nut. These definitions are a bit oversimplified, but they're easy to understand and are close enough.

In your case, I would use a bolt. Generally speaking, a bolt will perform better than a screw. (Of course, you need to use not just a nut but also a washer).

Lag screws are used instead of bolts when circumstances dictate their use. For example, when fastening a ledger board to joists ends.

Lag screws are plenty strong. It's just that a bolt connection is stronger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.