Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Beam Replacement in Basement

I am currently looking at replacing a beam in my basement. Currently it looks like there are 3 2x8's tied together running under the floor joists spanning a 20x20' floor. There are 2 columns supporting the floor beam. I was looking at sizing an LVL beam for this so I can get rid of the support columns. This is not a load bearing beam, just supporting the floor above. I am concerned about ceiling height at the beam if I get an LVL. Currently the floor joists (2x 10') are tied together at the ends and are on top of the support beam. Is it possible to cut the joists then attach them to the LVL using joist hangers? I attached some pictures which may help.

Name:  P1030049_small.jpg
Views: 3750
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  P1030050_small.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  62.4 KB

dbennett78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 510

20' is a long span for an lvl. It will be a pretty big one. Yes, usually you can hang the joists from the beam. But I bet when you size it, a lot of beam will still hang out of the bottom.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Understood that they are pretty big, but is it possible to cut the current joists and rehang onto the beam? That way I could gain the space currently occupied by the joists. Would a steel I-beam occupy less space?
dbennett78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett78 View Post
Understood that they are pretty big, but is it possible to cut the current joists and rehang onto the beam? That way I could gain the space currently occupied by the joists. Would a steel I-beam occupy less space?
Yes to both questions. Lets say that a 16" 3 ply micro will work (Not saying it will!) You could support the joists on both sides of the cut by building temporary support walls near the cut out. The micro could be slid up to the floor which would leave 7 or 8 inches hanging below. The joists can also be hung from a steel beam. An engineer needs to be consulted to determine which beam works best. Good luck.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote